Snail, problem or no problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tiesto643

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi All

Spotted this little snail in my tank, only seen the one so far. Anyone know what it is, where it might have come from, and should I be concerned, or is it no problem and I will just leave the snail in the tank?

Sent from my D5803 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1448841058022.jpg
    1448841058022.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 1448841108293.jpg
    1448841108293.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 68
It looks to me like a Malaysian trumpet snail... dun dun duuhhhh. I would take it out to be safe, just in case. Also, MTS like to burrow into substrate and can be impossible to kill.

Personally i love MTS They only become a big problem if you overfeed i feel like.if you or anyone you know has a puffer its free food.

Definitely an MTS. I have a ton of them in my tank. They do a great job burrowing through the substrate. If you are not keen on snails, remove it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Have a ton of these MTS in my bigger tank (can't keep them in the smaller because the puffs eat them :lol: ) Really good for aerating and turning over the substrate. I would keep it, you'll have plenty in no time.

I hated the bastards so I got some assassin snails and they cleaned up really nice. Awesome thing is assassin snails like to propagate as well so you can sell them to your lfs once you have enough. I started with 2 in my 10g and when I went to retire the tank I had like 34 that I was able to put in other tanks. eventually am gonna pull some out and see if i can get store credit for them.

FWI: If you do nothing they will take over your tank.

If they have a lot to live on, they will breed like crazy. Me, I can't get them to. I keep things too clean, remove uneaten food within a couple of hours, etc. so I wind up buying them. It all depends on how you keep your tank.

And the point about over feeding ^_~

"and see what will happen when you leave the entire can of flake food in your tank"

Fixed it for you lol.

Thanks all, I had a good search and clean up during today's water change, found 4 of them. Going to cut down feeding too, think I have been over feeding a bit as I re-homed some fish for a friend which are quite a bit bigger than my others so wasn't sure how much food they would need.

Sent from my D5803 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom