Snail question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Earlgrey23

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 4 gallon tank that seems to be doing quite well. It's been a bit over a week and still a little cloudy, but the fish all seem to be doing fine (just jinxed it)

3 glofish
1 pearl danio
1 cory
1 dwarf neon Gourami

I know that it is way to small for a pleco. Heck even if the pleco was the only fish. But for some visual variety and maybe tank clean up duties I have been thinking of getting a snail.

What I don't know is will the snail do more damage then good? My hope would be that it would help control algae, maybe clean up the bottom a bit (although the cory seems to do that well) But my load is probably a bit overstocked as is and I don't want to harm the balance any.

snail thoughts?

Snails never hurt. MY question is, is the tank cycled. Worries me it's becoming cloudy after a week.
At least you know a pleco of any variety is out of the question.

IF the tank is cycled, in 4 gallons with those fish, I'd suggest over 10% water change daily or 20% every 2 days.
With only 2 posts, I must ask if you've done any beginner aquarist reading/researching?? Can't just throw fish in water with a filter and heater. They need to be cared for, and with only 4 gallons, water toxicity could change in a second.

Not only toxicity but you need to rehome those fish.. Danios need a lot of space they are very active.. Good news is small bioload so If you get a larger tank you can get more fish because they will school properly. IMO I wouldn't keep danios in anything less than 15g. I had a few in my 10g a while back and felt guilty they seemed stressed and couldn't properly decorate it for that reason

Not beginner per se. Returning. I had a 20gl tank all through High school that did really well. I have likely forgotten more over the interveening 18 years then I remember. Yes I should have read more....

Reason I wanted to start small and not create a fish genocide if I screwed it up horribly. water is testing fine. My concern was exactly that it could change so rapidly if I added to much more.

Already planning the next tank as either a 15 or 20 so I will move the danios to that. Suggestions of a less active fish that would work in the Four? I had great success with Neon Tetra's back in the day.

I will start those small water changes like you are suggesting.

I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the responses. Going to read up some more now ;)

Really you are limited with fish. I'm about to stock my new 10g with two dwarf puffers they are cool! You could fit one and nothing else same with a Betta. Or two African dwarf frogs they are great too. Another option is a nicely planted shrimp tank they are fun to watch.

If I were you I'd focus the small tank on perfecting your aquascaping skills and having a nice tank to look at vs fish. :)

i would honestly suggest rehoming most of the fish you have in that tank...

corys need groups, danio needs more swimming room, dwarf gourami needs at least a 10g tank,

you could probally get away with 4 glofish and a snail

i understand your thought of starting with a small tank but tanks around 20-30g are actually easier to keep, less chance of overstocking, less swing in parameters..ect.

when you say your parameters are "good" what exactly are they? what are you using to test, strips or liquid master test

Glofish are danios, so not so much *lol* Need the same amount of swimming space as zebras and other color morphs.

A school of nano fish like chili rasboras or celestial pearl danios may work.

I have a 4 gallon tank that seems to be doing quite well. It's been a bit over a week and still a little cloudy, but the fish all seem to be doing fine (just jinxed it)

3 glofish
1 pearl danio
1 cory
1 dwarf neon Gourami

I know that it is way to small for a pleco. Heck even if the pleco was the only fish. But for some visual variety and maybe tank clean up duties I have been thinking of getting a snail.

What I don't know is will the snail do more damage then good? My hope would be that it would help control algae, maybe clean up the bottom a bit (although the cory seems to do that well) But my load is probably a bit overstocked as is and I don't want to harm the balance any.

snail thoughts?
Hello and welcome to AA!

You are definitely correct in thinking the snail will do more damage than good. Your tank is quite overstocked.

Most cories need a tank of atleast 20 gals. They are shoaling fish that should be kept in groups no smaller than 4.

Glofish need a tank atleast 30" long (this is a 20L or 29). They are schooling fish that should be kept in groups of atleast 6.

Pearl danios need the same, but really longer is better, these guys get huge. Yours will most likley develop a hunchback if kept in such a small tank. They are also schoolers that should be with atleast 5 other of their own kind.

Dwarf gouramis need atleast 10 gals.

These only fish I could recommend keeping in a tank of this size is a betta, and even then a female would be best. Possible a small school of chili rasbora depending on the dimensions of the tank.

I would recommend you get rehome these fish if you cannot set up another tank for them right away. There is no way that so much waste being produced in that small of a water volume with a tiny little filter can be healthy for the fish.

If you aren't familiar with how the nitrogen cycle works and how to cycle a tank, here are some helpful links: The Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle, I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!.

Starka said:
Ya bettas are fun ! ;)

I love my betta, I keep him in an 8.5 g with some neons and shrimp...
for theOPs tank, a decently planted tank, you could keep a betta and some shrimp.. considering there is a heater and filter

Back
Top Bottom