Snail Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flavia21

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys!
I was wondering if it was normal that my snail always lingers around the top corners of my tank
What you guys think? Open to ideas
Thanks

I'm no expert, but I think it is.
My gold inca and black mystery do it a lot.
They sometimes extend a weird looking tube out from under their shell in the hair. It almost looks like they're breathing air.

I'm no expert, but I think it is.
My gold inca and black mystery do it a lot.
They sometimes extend a weird looking tube out from under their shell in the hair. It almost looks like they're breathing air.

Because I feel it spends more time out of the water than in the water.
I was also told that they'll clean my brown algae off my decoration rock and it cleaned up some off of it the day I bought it because I placed it right on there but ever since he hasn't.
Do yo think it might be because he's not hungry?
Don't know much about snails either sorry about the weird questions.

If anyone else knows a bit more and would like to add feel free, I appreciate all comments and advice.

:)

I am no expert, but I recently bought some Japanese Trapdoor snails and the seller told me that if they hang out near the top it likely means that there isn't enough oxygen in the water. However, they are fully aquatic snails; could be something totally different with yours!

I am no expert, but I recently bought some Japanese Trapdoor snails and the seller told me that if they hang out near the top it likely means that there isn't enough oxygen in the water. However, they are fully aquatic snails; could be something totally different with yours!

Mine is the zebra nerite snail & ye I don't knew much about it either. If the oxygen were the problem, how would I fix that?
Would you know by any chance?
Thanks

It could be normal but if something in the tank isn't to their liking (often high levels of ammonia, nitrite or nitrate) they'll try to escape. What are your water parameters? If they are within normal ranges then it probably isn't the water so I wouldn't worry too much about it. As for oxygen, just make sure there's some rippling of the surface water, either from the water dropping from your filter into the tank or an air stone. If your fish aren't gasping at the surface then I wouldn't think oxygen is an issue but you can always reduce the water level so the filter water splashes into the tank more or add an air stone, it can't hurt either way.

It could be normal but if something in the tank isn't to their liking (often high levels of ammonia, nitrite or nitrate) they'll try to escape. What are your water parameters? If they are within normal ranges then it probably isn't the water so I wouldn't worry too much about it. As for oxygen, just make sure there's some rippling of the surface water, either from the water dropping from your filter into the tank or an air stone. If your fish aren't gasping at the surface then I wouldn't think oxygen is an issue but you can always reduce the water level so the filter water splashes into the tank more or add an air stone, it can't hurt either way.

My parameters are at normal ranges and I already have an air stone and plants so I think that helps a lot with oxygen. He doesn't seem like he wants to escape just likes to go to the very edge of the tank above the water and stay there.
He does come down too but it seems like he's up there more often.

Back
Top Bottom