Snail Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FawnN

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok,

I absolutely don't know anything about snails and these two hitchhiked on my java fern. My first question is, does anyone know what sort of snail this is?

Secondly, are they doing what I think they are doing? How fast do they multiply? I'm trying to get an idea if there will be a problem in the near future with these guys.

img_289399_0_9c8711be09a6642fa5dab3ad2e446309.jpg

TIA. :D

Looks like ramshorn snails to me.

Plenty of folks will tell you that they eat plants, but I have one single fellow in my 5gal heavily planted tank and he has been there for 6 months, with no sign of plant eating. He keeps the driftwood clean and there have been no baby ramshorns, but I have had baby snails from a single adult snail of another species, so it can happen. He has been the perfect resident so far.

I'd guess yours are, *ahem*, doing what we think they are doing so maybe you could remove one and be on the lookout for gelatinous egg clutches.

Hmm, seems like you've got some kindof mojo in your water because the pics you posted of your froggies were a little racy, too :wink:

That is too funny TG and Jchillin. :D I wish I had some secret mojo. Now if I could only get my rams to spawn, I would be a happy camper. :wink:

Well! I know it's not likely but considering what's going on in your tank, maybe the rams are content on just watching everyone else for the time being :D

You would actually put pretty women in your tank? I personally would put them in my bed....... :p

I have these snails as well and they do seem to be nibbling on my plants, but it's not really disturbing to my plants or me.

i have snails as well, don't know if they r the same as these, usually my yo yo loach would eat snails, but this time he's not.When I switch on the light they'll be all out on the front glass, yesterday i took out 3, today i saw another one but culdn't get a hold on him.will b on the lookout tmr, i don't like them in there

Back
Top Bottom