Snail solutions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Khalix

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay, I apologize if this is a stupid question or if it has been answered a lot before.

The situation is that I have a 20 gallon tropical community tank with neon and cardinal tetra's almost exclusively. Some time ago I ended up with a migrant snail that must have come in on one of my plants. Now I have hundreds! I wouldn't mind some of them but it's gotten to the point I'm having to take my filter out and clean the intake valve because they are clogging it. I'm having to do this at least three times a week, and by the end of the week you see there are at least another hundred. :(

I've tried putting in lettuce and making sort of a snail trap. I've been doing this for months and I still can't keep up with the population bursts. I've taken things out to thoroughly clean them of eggs, etc. I'll be fine for a little while but by the end of the week it seems like they magically appear!
:confused:

I do work in a pet store so there have been several solutions made known to me. One coworker insists I just use chemicals and be done with it.. but I've heard bad things and I really hate to use chemicals unless absolutely necessary. I also don't want to risk stressing my tetra's too much. Another coworker is trying to talk me into getting a clown loach. I flat out refused to do this one because it's only a 20 gallon and I don't like the idea of getting a fish just to eat snails and then have to get rid of it in time unless I upgraded.. plus I do worry about them picking on my other fish even if I did move them to a larger tank in time. I know there are other loaches out there but most seem to require at least 30 gallons. I'm not a fan of crowding fish, so I really don't want to go this route unless there's something within size range that I can reasonably do.

I guess my last option would be to completely remove my gravel/plants and decor and start almost fresh, but I worry this will cause my tank to cycle, as I'd have to replace the filter media, as well, in all likelihood, since there have been plenty of them clinging to it. Again, possible stress. Is there ANYthing else I can do, perhaps something I have missed? Are the chemicals even that bad?

Thanks in advance. Sorry for being long winded.

I should have read the threads before I posted. hehe. I saw quite a few suggestions in other threads, so ignore me. :p

Glad you found an answer. My answer was going to be to go for malawis! No plants, just rockwork. hehehe But that wouldn't work in a 20 gal.

The only issue now is finding a place that sells the Assassin snail. :confused:

I have never used aquabid, kind of a novice when it comes to things like paypal. I did see some of them on there, but I had to register and it'll be at least a day before I can bid.

Hey Khalix,

I just wanted to mention that you are on the right track. If I recall correctly, most invert-killing medicines are very hard on tetras. I also agree 100% that it isn't the "right" thing to do to buy a clown loach for snails, and replacing everything could cause a mini-cycle!

I would like to ask about your feeding schedule though - how often do you feed? How much do you feed?

Snails of that number are eating something and a lot of it. My bet is overfeeding, or a massive algae bloom that the snails are keeping in check.

Either way, any sort of rapid growth of lower lifeforms - whether algae, snail, planaria, etc - is a sign of an imbalance in the tank. Snails of that magnitude are a big sign something's up.

What are your nitrates?

Edit: I also want to say, if you don't want to try aquabid, mgamer has assassins for sale. I have a couple of mgamer's snails and I love them :)

Last edited:
I was going to pretty much mirror taylors post, but no need to now. If you pm mgamer, im certain you'll be able to get a good price on some assassin snails

Taylor,

The last time I tested my water(a few days ago), it was at about 10ppm. I have never really noticed algae. Even before they randomly showed up I rarely had to do any upkeep with it and had avoided any sort of clean-up crew because of how large a lot of the pleco's get. I generally just keep my lights out when no one is home and at night. I've moved my plants to an unoccupied 10 gallon because the snails were feeding on them.

I feed usually three times a day in very small amounts, and I net any uneaten food out. The only exception to this is when other people in my household have fed them while I'm away or working. It's possible they are maybe feeding more than necessary, though when I vacuum I don't really see a lot of food lurking in the gravel, just the typical waste. However, that's probably because the snails are having a buffet. :( The tank has been running for well over a year with basically the same fish.

I'm not sure what's going on but it's very frustrating! They don't seem to really be growing with any speed so I'm not even sure the type of snail as I can't ever get a good look at their shells they are so tiny. Someone told me to throw them in my goldfish tank? Will that hurt my goldies? She apparently feeds hers them all the time and has never had any snail problems in the tank she houses them in.

Thanks for any and all responses. :cool:

I actually saw Mgamer selling some on said other site(not sure if we are allowed to mention those sites on the forums), so I may just buy some of his.

Kuhllis barely eat snails.

There is a chemical called DE-LOS from fishy pharmacy . com it will nuke all inverts dead, ALL.

cant be used with sharks or catfish as well as all prehistoric fish.

I wasnt able to keep assassins as my water is way too acidic for them.

My bigger fish looooove a smooshed snail as a snack. I hated killing them, but it was making my water quality go down, and they were laying eggs everywhere, along with just basically making a horrific mess of my tank. I felt bad, but I didnt feel so bad when I saw all my fish go crazy eating them. They didnt go after them while they were alive though, only when I "prepared" them for the fish LOL!!

Back
Top Bottom