Snail suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BalloonBellies

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi I have a 12 gallon tank with some mollies and neon tetras. I wanted to get a snail to help with eating leftovers and some algae. I don't want them to breed so I was think about getting a mystery snail. Or should I get like two nerite snails? Will they breed? What types do you recommend?

Nerites can't breed in freshwater so that would be an ideal choice. There are many different types but the little Horned Nerites are great and small enough you could do around 6. There are also larger Nerites in different colors and patterns that would look nice in a small tank.

I have a large mystery snail he's a great vacuum for my tanks and fun to watch mysteries come in a few different colors the ones I know of are black, gold, albino which actually has a black shell, and blue they have white shells. They do a great job cleaning up and are kind of mesmerizing to watch mine learned to eat food from the surface and I've seen him just kind of floating around like a magic carpet Haha. It's really weird to watch them go to the surface for air especially if they have there air syphon fully extended. The only thing with these guys is once they get to around two inches I wouldn't want them in a tank with small fish mine has killed a couple guppies until I placed him in a different tank. Good thing about snails is if you have multiple tanks you can just place them in a different tank from time to time or whenever you feel the tanks need a little custodial work. :p

I have a large mystery snail he's a great vacuum for my tanks and fun to watch mysteries come in a few different colors the ones I know of are black, gold, albino which actually has a black shell, and blue they have white shells. They do a great job cleaning up and are kind of mesmerizing to watch mine learned to eat food from the surface and I've seen him just kind of floating around like a magic carpet Haha. It's really weird to watch them go to the surface for air especially if they have there air syphon fully extended. The only thing with these guys is once they get to around two inches I wouldn't want them in a tank with small fish mine has killed a couple guppies until I placed him in a different tank. Good thing about snails is if you have multiple tanks you can just place them in a different tank from time to time or whenever you feel the tanks need a little custodial work. :p

I've had a mystery snail before with a betta and I must agree they are very interesting. I've never heard of them eating smaller fish, do they hunt them down or something lol would it eat my neons?

Haha no I think just fish that give live births would fall prey to a snail as that's all mine has ever killed and its only been when the fish is in labour. Made me so mad because all the babies died inside the mamas :(

Nerites can't breed in freshwater so that would be an ideal choice. There are many different types but the little Horned Nerites are great and small enough you could do around 6. There are also larger Nerites in different colors and patterns that would look nice in a small tank.

I think I'm gonna go with the nerites. I have had an apple snail before is the care for nerites similar? What variety do u recommend?

I like trapdoor snails. If you have plants don't get mystery snails they'll eat plants, but trapdoor and nerite are plant-safe. Trapdoor snails can breed in freshwater but only once or twice a year and don't produce much offspring so they can't overrun a tank. I have lots of trapdoor snails, three in my 38 planted, one in one of my betta tanks, and five in my pond outside.

Bettafanatic said:
I like trapdoor snails. If you have plants don't get mystery snails they'll eat plants, but trapdoor and nerite are plant-safe. Trapdoor snails can breed in freshwater but only once or twice a year and don't produce much offspring so they can't overrun a tank. I have lots of trapdoor snails, three in my 38 planted, one in one of my betta tanks, and five in my pond outside.

I have Mystery (apple) snails, and my plants are totally fine :)

Attachments

• image-1826208956.jpg
    image-1826208956.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 61
  • image-1755683462.jpg
    image-1755683462.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 51
Bettafanatic said:
Really? There are a lot of stories of mystery snails eating plants. I guess it depends on the kind. That's why we research! :)

I got 2 adults and about 12 of the babies left ( you can see them on the sand :) almost can't call em babies anymore lol) haven't had a problem yet thankfully :)

Back
Top Bottom