snail vs amano shrimp vs cories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

calfishguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay I have a planted 29 gallon tank that currently has two angels and an albino bristlenose pleco. I would like more of a clean up crew since my pleco spends most of his time on my driftwood. I would like two of the options stated above. I think I am pretty decided that I want 8-10 cories. Now the thing is that some of the plants that have been in my tank for 6+ months have a little bit of algae on the leaves. I would like a creature that will help me keep my plant leaves clean. Would some sort of snail or amano shrimp be best suited for the job.

Thanks.

It all depends on what type of algae since algae eaters tend to have specific algae/s they consume. What type algae is the problem and can you post a picture? Have you looked into what is causing the algae?

It all depends on what type of algae since algae eaters tend to have specific algae/s they consume. What type algae is the problem and can you post a picture? Have you looked into what is causing the algae?

Its small green spots their are just a few that are barely noticeable. I'm jot home at the moment so sorry I can't post a pic but I can try later. I don't really think there is a specific cause for the algae I just think it has been building up very slowly than has been my experience with it. Every now and then in my 55 I get a little algae and have to scrape it off. I think this is normal. Is it? I think that's the same thing with the algae on the plants. I just hesitate to scrape it off as I don't want to tear leaves/stems.

Green spot algae comes from too high a light left on for too long. You should only run lighting 6-8 hours daily. Also GSA is often associated with low phosphate levels in a tank. Decreasing lighting will go along way in helping keep algae down.

Green spot algae comes from too high a light left on for too long. You should only run lighting 6-8 hours daily. Also GSA is often associated with low phosphate levels in a tank. Decreasing lighting will go along way in helping keep algae down.

Okay I will decrease my light and if that doesn't solve the problem I will up my phosphate dosing.

Do you have CO2 or use liquid carbon? Flexuating CO2 levels in a tank also contribute to algae issues.

It's not hard it's just finding the amount of liquid carbon you need compared to how much light you use and how many plants you have.

Back
Top Bottom