Snails??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh no! I'm guessing they are the super reproducing ones! Will be off to find an assassin then lol

maestromad said:
Oh no! I'm guessing they are the super reproducing ones! Will be off to find an assassin then lol

Actually they aren't too bad, they mainly have population booms in a tank that is over fed.

Some people keep them in the their tanks intentionally.

I know I'm prob one of those over feeders! I don't mind them but I have quite a few now!

I agree that they look like pond snails. I kept a number of them in my 10g and I have to say they do an awesome job of keeping it clean :) If you start getting to many of them either squish the egg sacs when you see them or take the bigger ones out until you reach a population that you like.

*lol* And here's me wishing the fish and shrimp in my ten gallon would LET the egg sacks hatch so I'd have food for my assassin snail. He keeps eating all of them!

skywhitney's right--they do an excellent job of eating off any algae you might have. But assassin snails are cool. :)

I've actually just ordered some assassin snails. I dont really like them in my tank but the assassins look pretty.

I put some new plants in my tank that had some egg sacs on them (which i didn't see while they were in QT) and when i woke up in the morning they were gone...do Cory's eat snails or eggs?

Not snails (at least, not live ones--if you crush the snail and leave it, it'll probably get eaten) but yes, they'll eat eggs. I have (until this afternoon) 3 Peppered Corys in my betta tank, and they and the betta love it when the snail laid eggs.

maestromad: on the plus side, assassins reproduce very slowly, and they spend 90% of their time in the substrate, so you don't see them very often. When they do make an appearance, it seems more like a "ooh...hi dude--glad you're alive--and you're pretty" and then ten minutes later, they're gone. At least, to me. *lol*

Not snails (at least, not live ones--if you crush the snail and leave it, it'll probably get eaten) but yes, they'll eat eggs. I have (until this afternoon) 3 Peppered Corys in my betta tank, and they and the betta love it when the snail laid eggs.

Well that explains where the eggs went then :) I do like some of the pond snails in my tanks though.

Me too. I may keep the assassins out of the 55 gallon and use it as a "grow out" tank for the pond and ramshorns that snuck in there and toss the extras in the betta tank for the assassin snail *lol* There's one gorgeous pond snail with a design on his shell that's hanging around and usually visable....yes, I'm sad *rofl*

Me too. I may keep the assassins out of the 55 gallon and use it as a "grow out" tank for the pond and ramshorns that snuck in there and toss the extras in the betta tank for the assassin snail *lol* There's one gorgeous pond snail with a design on his shell that's hanging around and usually visable....yes, I'm sad *rofl*

you're not sad...i had a 5gal tank that was devoted to pond snails just cause i could...thats sad...lol

Back
Top Bottom