Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lifeoffroad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I have an infestation of those little white snails that came in on a plant or something. However, I have two clown loaches that go to town on them. My question is: since the clown loaches suck the snails out leaving the shells, will that raise my nitrates? Also, any suggestions on how to get those shells out? My gravel vacuum just wont pull them up and out.

Thanks.

can you reach to pick them out, or net them?

i cant answer the other questions cause im still pretty nooblike

Dbouchard said:
can you reach to pick them out, or net them?

i cant answer the other questions cause im still pretty nooblike

They are tiny. They typically slip through the net. When I vacuum the gravel, they go into the gravel tube but they don't suck out. I need something with more suction. I don't think it affects nitrates anyway. I mean the are just shells. People put those in as decorations.

See tiny

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120229_214503.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120229_214503.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 100
How big is the tank? Clowns get around the foot mark so you wanna make sure they have plenty of room.

Looks like some sort of common pond snail to me. You can get rid of them by putting in a piece of lettuce under a rock and then taking it out when all the snails are on there.

bruinsbro1997 said:
How big is the tank? Clowns get around the foot mark so you wanna make sure they have plenty of room.

Looks like some sort of common pond snail to me. You can get rid of them by putting in a piece of lettuce under a rock and then taking it out when all the snails are on there.

Im mot concerned about the snails alive in the tank. My question was do the leftover shells cause the nitrates to rise as clown loaches don't eat the shells they suck the snails out.

Thanks.

No the shells will not cause ammonia resulting in nitrates. I agree with bruinsbro, the loaches get huge so I hope you have plans for them in the future. A snail population will not get out of control unless the tank is over fed. Try cutting back on feeding.

Mumma.of.two said:
No the shells will not cause ammonia resulting in nitrates. I agree with bruinsbro, the loaches get huge so I hope you have plans for them in the future. A snail population will not get out of control unless the tank is over fed. Try cutting back on feeding.

Sorry in advance, I mean this in the nicest way, however, im not sure why everyone is concerned about a completely different topic. I understand clowns get very big and have plans when necessary.

Lifeoffroad said:
Sorry in advance, I mean this in the nicest way, however, im not sure why everyone is concerned about a completely different topic. I understand clowns get very big and have plans when necessary.

That's good you know. We just like to check. :) Some buy them thinking 'oh they're cute' and don't realize they get the size of a football.

I wanted to add that I did have a rise in nitrates when I had lots of empty pest snail shells in my tank. Just sayin'.....

LyndaB said:
I wanted to add that I did have a rise in nitrates when I had lots of empty pest snail shells in my tank. Just sayin'.....

Really! See I was afraid of that. Okay I am going to figure out a way to get more suction. Im thinking if I decrease the length of the gravel cleaner maybe that would help.

Anybody with any ideas to remove those peaky shells from the gravel?

Mumma.of.two said:
That's good you know. We just like to check. :) Some buy them thinking 'oh they're cute' and don't realize they get the size of a football.

I get it. I wish there was a way identify whether you were just starting, somewhat knowledgeable, very knowledge, etc.....using the rank by how many posts is not efficient. Im not saying im advanced by any means but I always research things and unfortunately I have learned a lot from my own experiences. Which im sure is true for most if us.

I've left the empty shells in my tank and have seen no difference in my levels. I should probably scoop them out, it's starting to look like a snail graveyard. I heard it's good for your ph though?

bruinsbro1997 said:

Zucchini works the same, tie it too a rock/decoration

Guys, please keep this thread on topic. The OP did not ask if this was a suitable tank for a clown loach, and nothing he/she has said has even hinted that the fish is not being kept in an ethical manner.

Top the OP- Shells alone should not cause issues. If uneaten food were to make its way down in to the shells, that could cause some nitrate issues.. but unless there is snail 'guts' left in the shell, there's really no risk.

mfdrookie516 said:
Guys, please keep this thread on topic. The OP did not ask if this was a suitable tank for a clown loach, and nothing he/she has said has even hinted that the fish is not being kept in an ethical manner.

Top the OP- Shells alone should not cause issues. If uneaten food were to make its way down in to the shells, that could cause some nitrate issues.. but unless there is snail 'guts' left in the shell, there's really no risk.

Its okay I understand their concern. But thanks and thanks for the other response.

You know any way to get these shells out?

I need to make a correction in my statement. Sorry about that.

It raised my pH, not my nitrates. Doh!

use a hose pipe you get a lot more suction than a gravel vac becareful tho it can suck your gravel/sand up

Last edited:
tmdavies said:
use a hose pipe you get a lot more suction than a gravel vac becareful tho it can suck your gravel/sand up

Yeah tried that. They are too small to see and more gravel gets sucked than anything else. It seems like the shorter hose on the gravel cleaner works but its still tedious.

Thanks everyone.

Back
Top Bottom