snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brittanyfoust

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had a hitch hiker on some driftwood. Noe they are everywhere I look. Probably between 20-30. I'm worried about a huge infestation. I do overfeeding because I have 2 wk old guppy fry plus my danios are hungry devils. My husband does frequent. Partial water changes BC I'm pretty sure my tank is overstocked and I probably need to upgrade. I was looking up assassin snails. Has anyone had experience with these?

20g long

6 danios (4 glofish 2 zebra 1 longfinned)

2 adult male guppies and 6 or 7 fry hoping most will be females to even the ratio

3 corycats

1 Plexiglas (I was not told of the size before getting it so I have no idea what to do when he gets too big)

Oh I have a male Berta in a 2 gallon tank. I did realize he loves snails but that doesn't really help so I'm interested in the assassin snail

Assassin Snails kill other snails. It may take them a while to take care of large populations, though. I suggest at least ten. They also eat algae and breed easily.

I have quite a few Assassin snails started out with 4 and have about 15+. When I started out I had loads of pond snails but it was my fault cause I overfed the tank, I bought 4 Assassin snails and over a few months my tank was pond snail free, Assassins are beautiful in their shell design and dont mess about when having to take out a pest like snail, added to that, their breeding isnt excessive and it has gotten to a stage where I actually have to "feed" them by throwing excess Ramshorn snails, which they devour immediately.

You have something called a plexiglass in your tank? Please give more info. I have a feeling you meant Pleco and you have some auto speller gadget that messed you up.

I got 7 assassins a few years ago. I keep them in my 16 gallon. They completely removed the pest snail population, but it takes a little while. They ingest a snail and then burrow beneath the substrate to digest for 2-3 days. Then they come to feed again.

They will definitely spawn for you. I now have about 40 assassins. They are slow growing and for the first few months, the young stay beneath the substrate.

I don't think you need 10. I would recommend 5.

Also, as long as you overfeed, you will have a pest snail issue. I understand feeding fry multiple times per day, but try spot feeding them. Your adult fish do not require that much food and it's not good for them.

Thanks everyone. I had looked up assassin snails and one site said minimum tank size 30 gal so I wanted to be sure. I did mean one Pleco.

Back
Top Bottom