snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Quest84

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hey everyone, I was thinking about adding some snails to turn over the sand substrate in my 40 breeder to help avoid gasses building up between water changes. I read that Malaysian trumpet snails do a good job at this, but also that they reproduce like crazy. I like the look of some snails in the tank, but I don't want the whole tank covered in them.

Would you guys go with the MTS, assassin snails or avoid them? how many snails etc...The tank is a 40 breeder and is lightly planted. :thanks:

MTS snails are great for aerating substrate but if you tend to overfeed they will multiply. But for the most part the stay in the substrate during the day and come out at night so even if you have alot it's not bad. Any snail except nerites are going to breed in a tank and again the more excess food available the more they breed. Nerites can lay eggs in freshwater but they can't hatch. They need brackish water to sucessfully breed. Thing is they won't get down and aerate the substrate. Snails such as Mystery and Ramshorns will get down and forage on substrate but only the MTS snails actually get into the substrate to forage.

ok sounds like the MTS are the best option..how many should i start with for a 40 breeder?

I'd start with about 5-10 as you will get more. When MTS breed they actually give live birth to one tiny tiny little baby snail so it will take alittle time to get more especially if you feed lightly and don't have alot of detris and dead/dying plant material in the tank.

Rivercats said:
I'd start with about 5-10 as you will get more. When MTS breed they actually give live birth to one tiny tiny little baby snail so it will take alittle time to get more especially if you feed lightly and don't have alot of detris and dead/dying plant material in the tank.

Will these snails eat your healthy plants roots?

Back
Top Bottom