Snails!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have mts too and they are really good algae cleaners but there are so many in my 10 gal. Lol

I have found that if I feed two smaller meals a day, the fish get almost all of it fast. I guess it has controlled my population. I actually moved a few snails over to another tank and purposely over fed to get more babies. Worked like a charm! Even though they had a ton of babies, It wasn't too many. My Blue Gouramis in the "snail breeding tank" love to eat snails! They suck them right out of the shells! Kinda neat to watch! I have golden mystery snails, and Ramshorns too..

I have found that if I feed two smaller meals a day, the fish get almost all of it fast. I guess it has controlled my population. I actually moved a few snails over to another tank and purposely over fed to get more babies. Worked like a charm! Even though they had a ton of babies, It wasn't too many. My Blue Gouramis in the "snail breeding tank" love to eat snails! They suck them right out of the shells! Kinda neat to watch! I have golden mystery snails, and Ramshorns too..

My local canal has wild ramshorns! I caught a few the other day. They are normal brown though. :(
My koi, goldfish, and minnows eat the snails shell and all!

Take them out. Go to the pet store and look for these

image-3823670729.jpg

Trumpet snails still multiply pretty quick but from what I have been told are better for the tank.

Take them out. Go to the pet store and look for these

Trumpet snails still multiply pretty quick but from what I have been told are better for the tank.

I think the only difference between them is that pond snails reproduce a lot faster and are smaller. But if you have sand substrate, mts are better.

Thank you all for all of the advice. I'm getting the snails out of my aquarium now, and going to give them back to the pet store. :) Possibly getting a Mystery Snail as well.

Thank you all for all of the advice. I'm getting the snails out of my aquarium now, and going to give them back to the pet store. :) Possibly getting a Mystery Snail as well.

The pet store won't want the snails they don't like having them. You will never get rid of them all unless you take your entire tank apart substrate and all. K

From my understanding

The pet store won't want the snails they don't like having them. You will never get rid of them all unless you take your entire tank apart substrate and all. K

From my understanding

Yes, but I just found the snails yesterday, and they came on a plant I got from the pet store. They took them back happily, as there were only three, that I know of.

Yes, but I just found the snails yesterday, and they came on a plant I got from the pet store. They took them back happily, as there were only three, that I know of.

I'm surprised they took it in too. Usually they only take snails that they are going to sell. Was it a chain lfs or a private one?

It was Petsmart. The people that tend the aquarium at my Petsmart are the sweetest things. She didn't mind taking them at all, or at least didn't show it.

It was Petsmart. The people that tend the aquarium at my Petsmart are the sweetest things. She didn't mind taking them at all, or at least didn't show it.

Petsmart! Now I'm really surprised they took it in. I have tried it at petco and petsmart but they said they already have too many. I see the snails all over the front of the tanks. Lol

Back
Top Bottom