Snails!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QueenKiara

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just found 2 baby snails in my 20G that must have been attached to the new plant I just bought. I think they must be Mystery Snails, because thats what was in the tank with my plant. Is there anything extra I have to do to take care of these little guys, or will they be fine with no help? And will they get out of my tank? The picture I attached is the only opening.

Attachments

• image-109387114.jpg
    image-109387114.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 79
  • image-459758367.jpg
    image-459758367.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 75
  • image-3594497026.jpg
    image-3594497026.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 83
And I just found another! Wow, I wonder how many of these guys made it in.

I just found 2 baby snails in my 20G that must have been attached to the new plant I just bought. I think they must be Mystery Snails, because thats what was in the tank with my plant. Is there anything extra I have to do to take care of these little guys, or will they be fine with no help? And will they get out of my tank? The picture I attached is the only opening.

Could you post a better pic of their shell?
They look more like pond snails to me.
They will do fine on their own as long as your tank has algae.

Here are the shells. This is the biggest snail!
I don't have much algae, the tank hasn't been running too long. I do feel my cory cats algae wafers though?

Attachments

• image-3650879472.jpg
    image-3650879472.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 84
  • image-2226181687.jpg
    image-2226181687.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 81
  • image-164688643.jpg
    image-164688643.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 64
Here are the shells. This is the biggest snail!
I don't have much algae, the tank hasn't been running too long. I do feel my cory cats algae wafers though?

Yeah. Those are pond snails. Algae wafers will be fine too. Watch out for population explosions for the pond snails. They can multiply very quickly. I started out with 3 in my 10 gal and now there are at least 20.

Okay, thank you. :) I was excited when I saw them. I've been thinking about getting snails anyway, this way I don't have to!

Okay, thank you. :) I was excited when I saw them. I've been thinking about getting snails anyway, this way I don't have to!

Many pet stores keep them as algae eaters and can give some for free. I see them on the glass of the tanks at all my lfs.

I also haw a canal a few mins away from my house that is stocked to the brim with snails. There are malaysian trumpets, ramshorns, normal ponds snails, and some white/gold pond snails.

Just a warning, but pond snails will take over your tank! They lay eggs all over the glass(and everything else) and reproduce VERY quickly! I put 6 in my three gallon tank on Mother's Day, and took out several hundred the other night!

i wouldn't be so happy with pond snails if i were you. they're pest for a reason and population explosion is highly likely in the future as they reproduce asexually, meaning one snail will eventually become thousands. if you have a loach at hand, however, these snails will become nice snacks. but other than that, i would get rid of it. i was, once upon a time, excited that i got a few of these snails until i learn the true nature of these snails and how they're considered nuisance more than anything. and it took me about 1hr of good rinsing and scraping to get the gooey gel like snail eggs to prevent further population increase.

Wow.. Okay. I'll definitely think about it more then. That's for all of the advice. :)

Those are pond snails. You really don't want to help them along. Without any help you will have hundreds in your tank. They breed faster than anything I know. most aquarium owners try to get rid of them as quickly as possible because the spread so quickly.

Just to let you know how quickly they multiply. I bread them as food for my puffer fish in a 2.5 gallon tank in 1 month they went from a 12 to over 100 (I'm guessing never really counted). But I had a constant supply for my puffers to eat.

Wow.. Okay. I'll definitely think about it more then. That's for all of the advice. :)

If you don't have the money to buy snails, I will happily send you some baby MTS snails. They are tiny right now, but grow fast!

Those are pond snails. You really don't want to help them along. Without any help you will have hundreds in your tank. They breed faster than anything I know. most aquarium owners try to get rid of them as quickly as possible because the spread so quickly.

Just to let you know how quickly they multiply. I bread them as food for my puffer fish in a 2.5 gallon tank in 1 month they went from a 12 to over 100 (I'm guessing never really counted). But I had a constant supply for my puffers to eat.

Yeah. I just throw pond snails into the pond to feed the koi whenever they get out of hand.

If you don't have the money to buy snails, I will happily send you some baby MTS snails. They are tiny right now, but grow fast!

Mts also breed very fast and don't lay eggs. Mystery snails are the best because they lay eggs above the surface of the water for easy removal.

Mts also breed very fast and don't lay eggs. Mystery snails are the best because they lay eggs above the surface of the water for easy removal.

This is true, however, if you do not over feed they won't get out of control.

Back
Top Bottom