Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frostshine

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay, I've been very interested in getting a snail or two for my tank. But I have a few questions: how much do they contribute to the bioload? And also, which kinds lay eggs without a mate? I'm sure there's more questions I have that don't come to mind right now, but those two are my main ones. My favorite snails right now are ramshorn and malaysian trumpet, but that might change.

Ok so all snails will breed like crazy and can get out of control very quickly. Malaysian trumpet snails burrow and can reproduce by them selves so they are good for substrate borrowers and eat detritus out of the gravel. I got mine from plants and didn't even know I had them till about two months ago. Nerite snails do not reproduce in freshwater and have some great colors on their shells. They also do a great job of controlling algae. Hope this helps!:)

Okay, thanks. I'm definitely looking into nerite snails, and malaysian trumpet snails are appealing for their burrowing. Here's another question: will they burrow in gravel? Probably a dumb question, but one that I do not yet know the answer to.

Also, I read that some pet stores will give free bags of snails. Is this true, and would PetSmart do it?

I went to petco to get some mts because I know they had several tanks loaded with them and they gave me them for free....so just go and see if they will if not just say you will pay a dollar for like ten or fifteen...another snail is a mystery they come in many different colors and are pretty neat I have them in al my tanks...and I have a little one gallo with mts...and I plan on getting a few horned nerites and some rabbit snails....rams horns are neat for the reason that they come in many different colors but they reproduce very quickly...of curse you can always sell them

I went to petco to get some mts because I know they had several tanks loaded with them and they gave me them for free....so just go and see if they will if not just say you will pay a dollar for like ten or fifteen...another snail is a mystery they come in many different colors and are pretty neat I have them in al my tanks...and I have a little one gallo with mts...and I plan on getting a few horned nerites and some rabbit snails....rams horns are neat for the reason that they come in many different colors but they reproduce very quickly...of curse you can always sell them

Okay, thanks! But don't mystery snails eat plants? And okay, so you CAN keep something in a one gallon. Haha. I have two, so snail breeding is an option.

But in all seriousness, thanks! That was very helpful. Last question: how much do snails contribute to the bioload?

Mystery snails eat dead plant matter but that's it...and yes on gallons are fine to keep mts and ramshorns and pond snails...mine is my extra plants tank...and I don't think they contribute to much

Okay, thanks. I'm definitely looking into nerite snails, and malaysian trumpet snails are appealing for their burrowing. Here's another question: will they burrow in gravel? Probably a dumb question, but one that I do not yet know the answer to.

Yes MTS burrow in gravel. My tanks have gravel & i got some hitchhiker MTS, pond & ram shorn snails. I rarely see the MTS. Just don't over feed & you should t have them get out of control. Depending on the fish you have they may eat the baby snails.

MTS's tend to stay in the substrate during the daylight hours and come out at dusk and during the night. That is why you rarely see them during the day.

Thanks guys! You answered all of my questions... For now. Haha, I'll have more soon most likely. :p

Back
Top Bottom