Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know Malaysian trumpet snails are good for sand because as they move about, they churn up the sunstrate and prevent the formation of toxic gas pockets caused by anaerobic bacteria. Don't know if the same is true for trapdoor snails, but it may have something to do with what you've heard.

I have lots of trapdoor snails (about 40 in a ten gal.) They will burrow in the sand similar too the mts, but they won't stay continually in the sand like mts. Also they are more colorful. They will get the same size as mts (2 in.) and trapdoors are usually black will stripes around the shell. Trapdoors are also liverbearers so they will reproduce slower than mts which are hermahrodites and reproduce really fast if not kept under control.

Anything else?

I have both trapdoors and mts in the ten gal.

umm, it was a 15 lb bag of sand, and 1 1/2 10 lb bags of the gravel in a 30 tank. The snad is prolly about 1/2 an inch in most places, and the gravel is prolly about 1/4 to 1/3 of an inch in most places.

Ya they might be able to burrow in there. Get a couple adult trapdoors and try it out. They don't really like gravel but if the gravel layer is that thin they might be able to burrow. I know mts will burrow in almost any substrate. You could get both like I have.

Back
Top Bottom