Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ejaramillo01

Aquarium Advice Addict
My 60 Gallon tank with live plants is experiencing a huge amount of snails, tiny ones, I have tried to control it with Assassin snails with no success, they are not keeping up.
What do you suggest me to do ?

What type are the tiny snails? Nerite snails are notorious for reproducing.

Hello e...

Snails are a good indication of how much you're feeding. If you have a lot of snails, there's a lot of food that's not being eaten. If you gradually reduce the amount you feed and once a week you do a good job of vacuuming the bottom material, you'll remove the food and snail reproduction will slow. Fish don't need much food, they easily go a couple of weeks with it. I feed a little of a variety every other day. When I don't feed the fish forage around their tank looking for uneaten food. This keeps the tank cleaner and the fish get their exercise. Remember, a slightly hungry fish is a healthier fish.

B

Without a picture ro identify the species of snail it's hard to give a completw solution but BB is right the **original** adults or egg clusters probably came in on a plant and found the extra food was creating a perfect living environment. They're most likely either Pond, Bladder or Malaysian Trumpet snas as those are the usual tank invaders. Definately NOT Nerites as they need salt water to actually breed, they may lay lots of eggs in fresh water but they won't hatch

Back
Top Bottom