Snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HOLLIEO

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just picked up some snails from Petsmart yesterday. One is a yellow color and the other black. I have no idea what these things are called? Any idea??? They were housed in a tank with aquatic plants and other snails. The sign just said 'Snails $1.99'. I was just wondering if there is any special requirement known for them? Any other info is helpful. :wink:

Probably "mystery" snails, or possibly apple snails. They will eat leftover food and do a pretty good job on algae, usually, tho not always. I do not think it is always the case, but mine completely consumed my plants in a very short time, almost overnight, so watch that if you have live plants. You may find yourself with millions of snail babies, also :D I really like them, in spite of all of that!

I forgot - there are copper-based medications that will kill them, so keep that in mind. I would stick a lettuce leaf in there for them every once in a while. I have heard they need calcium to maintain a strong shell, but I am not certain about that.

Thanks Tankgirl. A little helpful info goes a long way. :)
They do look really neat as they suck on the glass :lol:
Hmmmm.. baby snails? I wonder how you can tell if you have a boy or a girl??
Do you know? I think it would be neat if they had baby snails.
Oh... I almost forgot.. I have another tank that I might put some in, if I can??
Do the snails need a particular temperature? I was thinking of sticking them in my goldfish/turtle tank, but it is pretty cool in there.

I don't think there is any way to tell the gender; anyway, some snails can change their gender to suit the situation. They should be fine in the cooler water with the goldfish.

I bought the exact same snails from petsmart, they where labeled as mystery snails. I have them in an unheated tank that stays between 70 and 75. The snails are doing fine and have laid eggs. If you are looking to breed them just buy a few, I'm sure you'll get a pair, as I only bought two and they are reproducing. Snails are a great way to control algae; mine seem to never stop eating.

Check my gallery I have a pic of one. :D

There is no such thing as a pair of snails. From what I have read they are asexual. As far as mating goes, as two snails slide past one another they spear eachother with "love darts" which fertilizes the other snail.

As far as copper treatment, would such a thing work in my pond? It is infested with them. My second thought was to get a clown loach for my pond, but I was not sure how well he would do.

SOcal.. Thanks for the info.
Maybe I will buy a couple more in hopes of baby snails. :lol:
How long did it take for them to reproduce? well, from the time you bought them?

HOLLIEO

Some time between the 3rd and 4th week of being in my tank. My snails are apple snails but at petsmart they called them mystery snails.
The second site I listed has tones of identification information, as there are two species generalized as "mystery snails", one being a hermaphrodite you should identify your snail before buying more. I guess in any case you need two of the same genus, whether they are hermaphrodites or not.
I also found out the hard way that my snails do not do well with Rid-Ich in the water. :(

Yes. I have Apple Snails. Still have no idea what sex they are, so I guess only time will tell.
Thanks for the link on the Apple Snails.. It was great!!!! :D

I forgot to mention that they love veggies. I have fed mine cucumbers, squash, and honeydew melon. Just remember to remove the seeds, they don't eat those and it make a mess. :D :D :D

I'm not sure. I would think that larger snails will be safe from a well fed turtle, but bite size snails may not be. From what I can remember about painted turtles, they will try to eat anything they can take a bite out of. What type of goldfish do you have, I have seen goldfish be relentless harassers, this wont kill your snail but he will spend a lot of time withdrawn into his shell. :(
All that said, I would try it, feed everyone in the tank till they are full and then introduce the snails. Choose a day when they can be monitored frequently for a few hours. Maybe your snails will go unnoticed and everyone will be happy. :D

Yeah, maybe I might just try it???
The goldfish I have are pretty easy going until I put food in the tank. then everyone goes crazy.. You would almost think I didn't feed them or something.. ha ha
One of the goldfish is actually bigger than the turtle. That fish and the turtle are about 5 years old and about 5.5" - 6" . The other 3 goldfish are about 4". They were all just those crap feeder fish you get for like $.29. Go figure?!?!
The turtle was supposed to eat them, but he never was real interested. So, maybe he will leave the snails alone as well???
He just likes to eat his turtle pellets and sometimes the goldfish flake food :D

I would think twice about getting more just yet, because I have even gotten babies with only one snail. It may be as short as two weeks or as long as 2 months, but I don't think there is a question that you will get babies. I also keep nerite snails, which do not eat plants and stay relatively small, and they are known for being much less prolific, but I got tons of babies anyway.

Back
Top Bottom