snails!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

themagpie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
so, i finally got my tank (20 gal) up and running after some pH tweakin. its provided me with hours of entertianment thus far (its replaced my tv! :p ). anywho, a couple days ago i noticed baby snails in my tank(probably 5-7). I've got 3 good sized sword plants i bought and about 3 to 4 other weed like plants my bro picked out. I'm guessing the plants had snail eggs on them when they were purchased. anyways, earlier in the week i considered buying a mystery snail or two, but didnt after reading they could potentially eat aquaplants at an alarming rate. so far the snails have been keeping to the tank walls and the gravel, but every once and a while i find 2 or 3 of them on the plants. should i get rid of them before get big and eat up all my plants? or is the info i found misleading/incorrect in any way.

-themapgie

Depends on the kind os snail. You will probably have more trouble with a snail explosion than with plant damage. You can manually remove them and try to limit feedings.

If they are sticking to the walls and gravel, they are probably eating your algae. If you don't have a fish to do this, I would reccomend letting them. If they start to have a population explosion, remove a bunch of them manually.

Check this article out.

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/snails.htm

Back
Top Bottom