Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

App

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I went to Petsmart today asking if they had any Malaysian Trumpet snails. They said they don't sell any, but they have plenty. They are very small (about 1/4") and brown. They were considered to be pests at petsmart, so I got them for free. The shell doesn't look like the typical MTS, so i'm wondering which kind they gave me. Any ideas?

Do you have a picture?

If the shell isn't a cone shape then you don't have MTS. MTS aren't pests at all imo. Petsmart always has tons of pond snails on their plants when I go in there, I've stopped buying plants there for that reason.

Here's a pic.
(click to enlarge)

Attachments

• picture_003_923.jpg
    picture_003_923.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 52
that is not a MTS, not sure what kind, they are the most common pest snail though. They eat some plants, but bot all, and the spread rapidly. Thy are very neat little guys though, and they move really fast. They may be a problem in your tanks, so i would give them their own tank. (they can live in 1gal or less or more, whatever). I like these guys though, just not in my planted tanks.

I put em in my 10 gal. with my Betta. He was freaking out for about a hour trying to figure out what to do. Even tried eating some. lol If they do get out of hand, whats the best way to get rid of em? I heard copper kills most inverts, but what does it do to the water?

It's best to keep snail populations under control by limiting the amount of nutrients in the tank, which can be done with weekly PWC and vacuum. If you start to see too many, try putting a lettuce leaf in the tank and when many are munching away, pull the leaf and the snails out.

Does it look like this close up? If so, it's a physa snail, and they do come in with plants often. They breed like mad even if they don't have a lot of food. I put two in a 1 gallon tank I have at work, which I feed one flake of food a week, and I have pulled over 200 of them out of there. I'm not kidding. After 10 weeks. I've never had 'em eat a living plant, but they will eat the unhealthy leaves.

img_693031_0_d2156e4194038662ec795a10eb8fd3ca.jpg

Yeah, I am fighting a hord right now in my community tank - trying to rid them before a batch of apple snails hatch.

I hate them with a passion - they are hard to rid, and multiply fast.

Back
Top Bottom