Snails and Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rcsguy

Aquarium Advice Activist
It looks like I may have accidentally introduced some snails that came with plants. Will they all die off during a cycle with such high ammonia and nitrite levels, or will I have to live with them/ take action myself?

Personally, i like the snails. They help keep uneaten food from rotting as well as telling you when youre feeding too much.

They are tough as nails so they wont die during the cycle.

Personally, i like the snails. They help keep uneaten food from rotting as well as telling you when youre feeding too much.

They are tough as nails so they wont die during the cycle.

Shoot, I was hoping that wouldn't be the answer. But if they're beneficial, it might be worth trying to keep their population small. They do steal the algae wafers from my shrimp in another tank tho.

in your opinion, what is the best way to keep their population in check? By in check, I mean not all over the front of the glass. I'm more worried about the aesthetics really.

Assuming these are pond snails, they come out during the night and retreat during the day. They generally stay off the glass when the lights are on minus a few stragglers.

As for population control, assassin snails, some loaches, manual removal, traps, finger smashing (makes the fish happy with the snail bits floating around), i even used to feed my extras to a turtle.

Assuming these are pond snails, they come out during the night and retreat during the day. They generally stay off the glass when the lights are on minus a few stragglers.

As for population control, assassin snails, some loaches, manual removal, traps, finger smashing (makes the fish happy with the snail bits floating around), i even used to feed my extras to a turtle.

Was thinking of adding a group of yoyo loaches and I was hoping they would control the population. I've heard conflicting information, though. Have you or has anyone else had any experience with them?

I don't own yoyos, but I would be worried about the shrimp.
You could add assassin snails or build a snail trap.
I have pond, MTS, and Rams horn snails in both my shrimp and planted tanks and the pond snails are the least numerous of the three.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't own yoyos, but I would be worried about the shrimp.
You could add assassin snails or build a snail trap.
I have pond, MTS, and Rams horn snails in both my shrimp and planted tanks and the pond snails are the least numerous of the three.

Sorry I should've been more clear. The shrimp are actually in a different tank. This tank is still cycling. The snail trap sounds good, as does the assassin snail.

I dont have personal experience with them. But from my understanding botia loaches like yoyos are good for snail eating.

Plus one on above. I have yoyo loaches and they will eat any snails up to ramshorn size in my tank. Mystery snails survive ok with them though in my tank.

Loaches are about 4 inches long now and best in a group.

What is your tank size? The loach type you should get depends on that. They are very good at snail control.

What is your tank size? The loach type you should get depends on that. They are very good at snail control.

55. I heard clown loaches are good snail eaters but they'd outgrow my tank.

I would recommend zebra loaches or angelicus loaches (botia striata or kubotai). They max out at 4 and 6 inches respectively, and are very peaceful; yoyo loaches would work in a 55 but they are boisterous and can sometimes bother other fish. All of the botia loaches destroy snails. Keep them in groups of at least 5 as they are very social fish.

If I were you, I would dump about 5 gallons of bleach, let it run for a few days, and start from scratch.

It may be "okay" to see snails all over your tank, as someone stated; but. Tank overpopulated by snails is populated by snail poop. Hence, less space for the stock you may want.

Feel free to check out my post on Eradicating Pond Snails.

Back
Top Bottom