snails are my problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thomas8474

Aquarium Advice Newbie
new to the forum and my first thread but i have snails in my tank. small disked shaped snail are appearing. start a couple of weeks when i put a new piece of large drift wood in the tank, could that be the problem? but they are only on the drift wood and on the glass. they dont seem to be on any of the plants tho.

what should i do to get rid of them?

The best way I know of is to get a loach. Clown and Yoyo loaches will mercilessly hunt and destroy them. You can also blanch some lettuce and anchor it onto a plate. the snails should swarm it. Remove the plate once swarmed. Repeat that for a few days. The last and worst option is snail killing chemicals at your lfs. They will also kill most invertebrates in the tank usually.

Oh I forgot! If you don't have room for loaches, but would like a natural approach, you can get some assassin snails. They probably won't eat ALL the snails, but the assassin's will keep their numbers under control.

I defiantly wouldn't get a clown loach just to solve snail problem. They get huge! But assassins are the way to go they do a great job. I actually have to ask my LFS to save Malaysian snails that they want to get rid of for me. Also lots of snails only multiply when the water is warm (80 f) idk what kind of fish you have but if you can get the water down in temp they will slow down on the reproduction.

You can get a plastic cup, put a slice of cucumber in there, leave it over night, then take it out in the morning and replace till most of the snails are gone. Then you can squish them. Most fish will eat them if you squish them and drop 'em in the tank.

Oh I forgot! If you don't have room for loaches, but would like a natural approach, you can get some assassin snails. They probably won't eat ALL the snails, but the assassin's will keep their numbers under control.

Definetly get assasin snails they work great I have a pond and have thousands of snails and within a few months a couple of assasin snails took care of the problem

Back
Top Bottom