Snails have Taken over O__O

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puriti

Aquarium Advice Addict
I somehow managed to get a couple of my schools snails in my tank....and now they're reproducing like rapid fire.....Any suggestions how to get rid of them? X.x to my knowledge I think they're apple snails; they're brown with black spotted shells

Put a piece of lettuce in the tank or an algae wafer in a small glass or plastic container and scoop them out in the morning.

ramshorn???

toss em in the trash or sqush them for the fish.
you could get some loaches.

That might work X.x
....If I got loaches I think everyone who knows my overstocking habits would shoot me lol.

We had a HUGE snail problem in one of my daughter's tanks. I put in a few thinking they were cute and we ended up with hundreds!!!!! I was scooping like crazy trying to get them out. I do have several dojo loaches but, they are large and used to a big tank and I didn't want to start tank hopping my fish and end up with any problems either. I asked for advice and began monitoring my daughter's feeding of her fish. She was feeding a bit more than was appropriate for the fish she has.... we cut back on the feeding and the snail population is now manageable (maybe 5-10) without any scooping. What seems like a little extra food for a fish, is a smorgasbord for snails and they will reproduce like crazy. Try the lettuce but, maybe cut back on the food for a bit and see if it has any effect as well.

How do snails reproduce do they lay eggs. Also when they die they susposedly make the water cloudy with bad bacteria so watch the snails. I had to through 1 of them out today and change the water in my betta tank.

I have clown loaches and they will definelty take care of any snail problem. I use to have hundreds of malaysian snails that bred like crazy in my tank. no more though, I havent seen 1 live one in a year. My clowns and maybe my yo-yo's ate all of them. I know most of the larger species of loaches will eat snails, including dojo loaches.

If loachs are to much of a load on the tank. You could go with dwarf puffers they'll take care of the snail fast to. faster then the loachs wil.

Weasel F. said:
If loachs are to much of a load on the tank. You could go with dwarf puffers they'll take care of the snail fast to. faster then the loachs wil.

:roll: can't have dwarf puffers in a community tank.

Why can't you????
I have dwarf puffers {4 } In with guppys,molly's,kribs,Apisto's { 4 differnt spices of Aoisto's } Dawrf frogs. CAE. So why can't you have them in a comunitey tank?

OH yea there is also 4 bumble bee goby's in this tank as will. All have been togeather for going on 8 months now.

aren't bumble bee goby's brackish? from what ive read about dwarf puffers they should be species only as they can attack, maim, and kill other fish.

The bumble bee goby's I got where born in freash water and have lived in nothing but freash water. They;ve been adjusted to freashwater for a yr. Now. The dwarf puffers havn't done nothing to any of my fish shrimps anything. They eat snails I put inthe tank for them and LIve BBS, or frozen brine shrimp and they love the blood worms and microworms. I fed them to produce spawing in my kribs and apisto's.
I mean the puffers are right at home in this tank. I'll take a pic of him for you.

I had 2 dwarf puffers before...they were picking at my poor dwarf gourami X.x I just collected a whole crap of them and then gave them back to my teacher lol and the ones left I just took the plants they were on out of the tank and left em in the bucket. I hate to be so cruel but there's just TOO many.

They will keep multiplying , there is no doubt about that. You'll get over taking them out being cruel, trust me. They can get to be quite the pests.

Yea and it sems like the more you remove the more that shows back up. Finding something to eat them is the ony way out.

Back
Top Bottom