Snails in planted tanks.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Snails are some of the biggest poopers around.

My fish eat way more plants than any snails have, then the snails will clean up dying edges of the bitten places on the leaves.

Less food for less snails.

Assassin snails can kill any small or large snail and have heard (not my experience as I wouldn't have been able to notce that)) they will ambush shrimp. I was recently told by a scholarly fish enthusiast that they use a bit of neurotoxin. So since I am not a scientist and haven't read that info my self, I have no real knowledge as fact other than I woud believe this person and would have no reason not to.

That would explain how they can take down a Mystery snail.

If some snails are in tank, it does not hurt. When buying plants, they come automatically. They eat waste. They also filter the water.
But it must not be too many. And there is a size that likes to plug the hose. ("Valve snails")
Apple snails need many plants. But if you have many green left, it goes.
I don't have many plants and gladly I never had any snail or any creature ever sneaked in too my tank. I think I have to drop the idea.

I don't have many plants and gladly I never had any snail or any creature ever sneaked in too my tank. I think I have to drop the idea.

Sometimes other life forms make it into the tank. In my shrimp tank I have seen at one time or another:
3 types of snails
Detritus worms
Planaria
Hydra
Seed shrimp
Copepods
Only the planaria became a problem

Sometimes other life forms make it into the tank. In my shrimp tank I have seen at one time or another:
3 types of snails
Detritus worms
Planaria
Hydra
Seed shrimp
Copepods
Only the planaria became a problem
Glad I never had even in past with heavy planted tank. I am ocd and I know it can happen but I feel like other life form in my tank like insects make there way to my room. My theory is that if anything grows in my tank other than what I put means bad hygiene conditions. I know I am wrong but its like a feeling I have.

Glad I never had even in past with heavy planted tank. I am ocd and I know it can happen but I feel like other life form in my tank like insects make there way to my room. My theory is that if anything grows in my tank other than what I put means bad hygiene conditions. I know I am wrong but its like a feeling I have.

My husband has OCD. It can be very difficult to work through. Hopefully you have a therapist or psychiatrist, because intrusive thoughts are something you should talk about with a mental health professional.

Many of my measuring cups and spoons aren't labeled anymore because, if the dishes weren't clean enough, we would die in a terrible car accident. Intellectually, he knew there was no correlation, but OCD is a physical disorder. The brain "lights up" in the wrong places. When you're at that point, you need intervention.

My husband has OCD. It can be very difficult to work through. Hopefully you have a therapist or psychiatrist, because intrusive thoughts are something you should talk about with a mental health professional.

Many of my measuring cups and spoons aren't labeled anymore because, if the dishes weren't clean enough, we would die in a terrible car accident. Intellectually, he knew there was no correlation, but OCD is a physical disorder. The brain "lights up" in the wrong places. When you're at that point, you need intervention.

Yes I visit my psychiatrist regularly but that is for depression and anxiety. I am not strictly OCD. Not about normal things or foos plates etc like you ve mentioned. I mean in aquarium hobby only and specially for water and other life forms. There should be no un invited guest in my aquarium or I will have like disgust feeling about my water like its some dirty pond where insects or all sorts of things in water. Hydra is something that can make me sick or shiver if I see in my tank. Gladly still nothing in any of my tanks ever.

I have ocd and ptsd. But remember its our tanks that arent natural lol. A healthy aquatic eco system contains all sorts of life forms not just fish and plants and nerites lol. I understand your concerns but eventually youll come across these so called pests. Many really are not pests. Many are part of a healthy aquatic eco system.

I have ocd and ptsd. But remember its our tanks that arent natural lol. A healthy aquatic eco system contains all sorts of life forms not just fish and plants and nerites lol. I understand your concerns but eventually youll come across these so called pests. Many really are not pests. Many are part of a healthy aquatic eco system.
Thanks. But I strongly hope I never encounter any. Well, its very strange that I never seen here in any pet store as well a tank with snails infestation or Hydra etc.

A question about Nerites please. How many can I put? Any rule of thumb for them? Do they multiply like other snails? I want to have creatures only which I put in my tank. Please advise. Thanks.

A question about Nerites please. How many can I put? Any rule of thumb for them? Do they multiply like other snails? I want to have creatures only which I put in my tank. Please advise. Thanks.

I don't think there is a rule of thumb for stocking. No, they will no multiply in freshwater. They (females) might lay eggs. They will appear as white sesame seed like objects on surfaces in the tank.
As for them bringing in uninvited guests, there is never a guarantee that they will not. Snails can harbor other organisms. The likelihood is probably low unless they are collected from the wild.

@fresh2o do you ever see snail waste that others speak of. Ive never had nerites. Obviously the bigger the snail but....just seems like another advantage of the smaller species.

Ya im sure the apples are bad. I had those in bigger tanks. Ive never seen ramshorn waste lol. Not that any of this is big deal. Im just curious. I know some of yall feed them. I do not. Curious if that's a factor. You think with a 100 or so you would see evidence. Just never have.

Even smaller snails generate waste. However, I can't tell the difference between the snail poo and shrimp pop in my bare bottom tank.
If you over feed, then the snail population may increase. Overfeeding is common with fry so as to ensure that they are eating well. Snails or no snails, regular removal of excess food and/or waste is your best bet.

Problem, my freshwater aquariumfilter is getting full of little snails, so much that its starting to clog up, anyone any suggestions???

Those snails will get in and want to eat the muck the filter collects, and then get stuck in the impeller :[ Cause all kinds of problems. Darn snails! lol!

I've had snails in my filters, but I run like 20yr old penguin filters. These things would grind up a minnow in seconds :(

Back
Top Bottom