SNAILS!!!!!! Please Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are people on these boards that love those snails. They'll clean up your substrate for you.

You could put them back in the tank. They won't overpopulate it if you don't overfeed your fish.

Not overfeeding is probably the easiest and one of the best routes to snail population control.

I feed very sparingly and my ramshorns have taken more than a month to increase their numbers by 30%. I've seen multiple egg sacks around, but they usually get picked off by my fish before they can develop. My MTS population, unfortunately, has dropped off. :uhoh:

^Don't be so sure. I thought mine had dropped off too, until I took one of my 10g tanks down... There were several hundred in the sand. They just don't come out very often at all. I 'seeded' my 125 and 40 with them, now I have plenty.

Fishman13 said:
I found the snail again and put it in a plastic cup 1 hour later i found two more put them in the same cup, then i found 1 more and i couldn't catch him. So i have 3 snails in a plastic cup and more coming. LOL

1. How do i care for them in a plastic cup.
2. How many WC do i do a week?

BTW these r the snails i found, not the actual snails in the cup but the type they r.

To my post can anyone help!!!!!!!

Fish, they are helping you, read what they are saying these snails are a good thing to have as long as you dont overfeed you wont have to worry about a snail outbreak.

Sonomakid said:
Fish, they are helping you, read what they are saying these snails are a good thing to have as long as you dont overfeed you wont have to worry about a snail outbreak.

I know that but
1. I want to see how many I have
2. I want to wait until they grow to put them in, I want to do this because I've heard that tetras and ghost shrimp eat the baby MTS.

I was at my lfs yesterday and they had a whole bunch of those in every tank. I asked them what they were and they said they were " nuisance" snails and they r reproducing like crazy. They said hey were treating for them. They were everywhere and were taking over everything. U need to get rid of them asap.

maxwellag said:
I was at my lfs yesterday and they had a whole bunch of those in every tank. I asked them what they were and they said they were " nuisance" snails and they r reproducing like crazy. They said hey were treating for them. They were everywhere and were taking over everything. U need to get rid of them asap.

Well I want to keep like 1 or 2 so that's y I need to keep them in a bowl, to see how many I have.

1. HOW DO I KEEP THEM IN A BOWL!?!

you don't it would be like asking how do I keep a person in a closet very inhumane

I just don't see the point in keeping them in a bowl. They need to be in the aquarium digging around in the substrate. I seriously doubt your fish will eat them.

I just don't see the point in keeping them in a bowl. They need to be in the aquarium digging around in the substrate. I seriously doubt your fish will eat them.

The reason is, as i stated earlier, i need to see how many i have as i do not need more than 1. Right now i have 4 in the 2g bowl and have seen more in my tank. When ever i seem them i try to get them, as they r so small they are hard to pick up. So as i asked earlier

1. How many PWC do i need to do a week?
2. How fast do they grow?
3. How do i feed them?
4. Are they egg layers or live bearers?

Fishman13 said:
The reason is, as i stated earlier, i need to see how many i have as i do not need more than 1.

MTS are asexual reproducers, so 1 will become 5, which will become 25, etc. Not overfeeding keeps them from reproducing so often.

They're considered to be a beneficial snail in a tank. So, the question isn't whether you want one in your tank (which is impossible, see above). The question is, do you want them or don't you?

If you do want them, put all the ones you pulled out back in.

If you don't want them, lure them out with a piece of lettuce overnight, or get an assassin snail or three.

If you do want them, put all the ones you pulled out back in.

If you don't want them, lure them out with a piece of lettuce overnight, or get an assassin snail or three.

I tried lettuce and cucumber it didn't work. IDK is this is true but i was told assassin snails will not work because they have babies and the shell of a MTS is to hard.

Well everyone i just learned that i may have "Assassin snail". So how do u tell MTS and Assassin snails apart while they are still small?

Back
Top Bottom