Snails snails & yet more snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earhtmother

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok I love the job MTS do keeping things clean, aerating the gravel etc but they breed like rabbits - have assassins in all my tanks but it looks like I am going to have an additional control. So what fish does the best job on snail control because if I have to spend $20 on a fish it had better earn it's keep. The 2 tanks that I can add a fish to ( have one that has an anti-social oscar & one that has a VERY anti-social Clown knife so they will stay assasins only) have asst tetras in one and angels & cories in the other

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same problem, ended up with 200 snails but luckily my LFS took them for store credit. The assassins took care of a few small snails but they don't bother the grown ones. As for your oscar tank, maybe a large clown loach, maybe he wouldn't bother it much if it's his size or bigger. Same goes for the other tank. Or any large Botia/loach should work fine

I had an MTS explosion in my planted 40b. I also had 6 angelicus botia loaches that barely put a dent in them, mainly because the snails hid during the day and only came out at night. It was a scary sight when I turned the light one night, my tank was covered! I reduced feeding and the numbers dropped drastically over time.

*aandvfarm*
Unfortunately Oscar is almost bread & butterplate size & and Knife is about 5"D at his "chest" section & 14"L so getting anything big enough to intimidate them is going to be a challenge

Back
Top Bottom