Snails, snails and more snails HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maltimomma

Aquarium Advice Freak
So much for buying plants in lfs in tubes that say they are snail free. I now have tiny snails crawling up the sides of my tanks and of course they are multiplying. How can I get rid of the little buggers? PLEASE HELP

:banghead::banghead:

not much help but i love free snails. i've never had any problems with them over populating or clogging filters like everyone says they do. Can you tell what type of snails they are? i've heard some people have success with putting a piece of lettuce in the tank at night and removing it, and any snails on it in the morning. I've never tried this tho.

You could also use assassin snails If you really want too. You should address the main reason why they are multiplying though. Usually the reason for them to multiply in such large amounts, is that there is an abundance of foodfor them to eat.are you maybe over feeding? Snails are usually beneficial to any tank, but can quickly become an annoyance if there are too many. You could also try the lettuce trick:) hope this helps!!:D

+1 for the lettuce trick... It worked a treat for me :) ok so I didn't have a huge infestation, just a few that sneaked in from a "snail free plants" pet shop. I think they meant, " free snails with our plants!"

You may need to do it a couple or more times depending on how bad the problem is and if there are any unhatched eggs hidden away. As stated before, pop a lettuce leaf in at lights out and remove first thing in the morning. I used my magfloat to hold it on the glass, touching the gravel. Good luck!

The lettuce trick works but never gets rid of them all and you will have to keep repeating. Not sure what all is in the tank or tank size, but are loaches an option? Loaches tend to clear up any smail problems rather quickly.

I'd say you must be overfeeding or have some decaying plant matter the snails are feeding on. Most snails will not overpopulate if you feed only as much food as you fish can eat. You can try the lettuce trick, Assassin Snails or CERTAIN Loaches if you wish (not all Loaches eat snails).

If they are MTS (maylasian trumpet snails) then loaches are not very interested in them because they are a very hard shell snail. And it is not a good reason to go out and buy loaches because they get large.
As for removing eggs i am pretty sure mts (if it is them) have live young.
I just hover them up a night with a piece of 3/4 pipe into a bucket but through a fish net to catch them then put the water back or do your water change.

I would try and figure out why they are multiplying first...
But if they are mts kribs might eat them. I put sand into my tank and got 13 Mts. It been two weeks and I have found 5 empty shells...

Back
Top Bottom