snails! snails! snails!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ultratonic1

Aquarium Advice Regular
Snails are spreading around my 10 gallon tank. dumped in the recommended dosage of had a snail and hope it will work. has anyone used this stuff and if it's not great what else can be done?

Bag them up and send them to me! LOL My DP loves snails for well.....every meal of the day.

^^^ I have tried, but to no avail. He destroys any egg sacks before they can hatch. I even tried to breed a bunch in a seperate container, but they lasted all of a few days.

Be careful with those snail killing chemicals. I would not recommend them. Watch your parameters over the next couple days, you may get an ammonia spike from the decomposing snails.

If you put a lettuce leaf on the bottom of the tank they will congregate on it and you can just take it out and throw them away. It will not eliminate them all but it will keep them under control.

no they can change there sex i believe but they cant breed with themselves. there still have to be 2 of them to reproduce. although apparently all snails are pregnant hen u get them ike guppies lol. i actually bough a golden apple snail and was hoping it would have more but i think i got the only non pregnant snail in history lol.

A hermaphrodite cannot breed with itself. Anything that "breeds with itself" is actually asexual and has no sex.

well I don't think I'll will have an ammonia spike because after the addition of Had A Snail, they still seem to be happy as ever. It did seem to knock out some of my alge however. Bravo on that one. My tank right now has Cory cats, platies and guppies. None of the parties show any desire to eat the snails.

I got snails in my tank but it seems to be great because they are going to town on that carpet algae which I have been battling with over the past few months. When they are done with that, I have a nice African Cichlid in another tank to feed them to.

Quick and silly question to all, how will i know if they are dead? will they fall off the side of the tank onto the gravel? :roll:

well, they often sorta sit at an akward angle with their foot off the substrate. How big's your tank? My clown loach loves to eat snails. lol

get loaches.. It took less that 2 minutes for my new yo-yo loach to find the snails. Not sure how stocked your tank is, but get at least 2 if you have room.

Back
Top Bottom