Snails? (stupid questions I know)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freshwatergal

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it really that easy to breed these suckers? I just bought two tonight and put them in a little one gallon tank. How long should it be until I see baby snails? I've had snails before but they have never stayed alive long enough to have baby snails. Thanks!

Thanks for the link, I have bookmarked it. One more thing, what should I feed them since they are in their own tank? Thanks again.

Mystery snails are the wrong kind if you're breeding them for dwarf puffers. You want common pond snails , or ramshorn snails. With those you're guaranteed to have generation after generation, mystery snails don't breed as often as you would like them too. BTW Don't get malaysian trumpet snails as their shells are too hard for the puffers.

Wierd... Is my explorer messed up? Didn't Timbo2 used to have that big "T" as his avatar--the one that you now have, FWgal? And he just changed his. Did you switch, is the internet playing tricks on me, or am I a looney?

Nope...I changed. Tiffany is my first name...LOL

Ok, the snails that I got last night have a brown shell that is higher then it is wider and you can really see the "swirls" in it. It was at Wal-Mart in a tiny cup for $2 so I bought two of em. I only said mystery cause that's what they had them listed as. Im new to all of this so you will have to forgive me.

I got snails like what you are talking about. Brown and black shells, and black bodies. They didn't have any name tags on the tank they came out.. which was filled with assorted snails, but I assumed they were mystery snails since they were the only kind of black snails in there really. I got them to take care of my algae, and since they did that, and quite well may I add, I'm pretty sure they ARE mystery snails.

They're ramshorns then, however they could also be young mystery snails which resemble ramshorns while they are young.

Well, I went to the lfs last night and got some baby snails from them. I put about 7 in the tank, and I can see 3 right now. My puffers are eating frozen foods real good though so Im not worried about them eating. The whole tooth thing has me concerned though...hopefully they will start eating the snails. Thanks again for everyone's help.

$2 a snail? I bought 5 for a quarter a piece and I thought that was asking a bit much for little snails that everybody else wants to get rid of :p

Well, I got the two big snails Im hoping will bread for $2 a piece. The lil baby snails I got for $.11 a piece. I went to a local retail chain tonight and bought a live plant to put in my snail tank, and they threw in two snails free of charge, although one of the shells was empty, it was still a nice gesture. So now I have three big snails to breed and hopefully make lots-o lil baby snails. Until then I will keep hitting up the lfs for some baby snails. I know what's gonna happen though, Im gonna have a population explosion...LOL.. :roll:

if you got pond snails from your lfs, you're in good shape. i am planning on getting a puffer, and decided to start breeding snails first. i have a 5 gallon lightly planted tank, which i had fertilized to get lots of algae growing. i got two pond snails from the store and stuck them in there, about a month later i have tons of babies and tons of adults. the more algae/food available, the more the snails lay eggs...

No wonder this post has so many of those embedded [acronym:...] things embedded in it... the OP is over 5 years old. Didn't know we could resurect a thread that old.

Back
Top Bottom