Snowball pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dubs1281

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The store that sold me the pleco said they are aggressive and should do great with my african cichlids and not my discus. After doing research I'm not sure. Hes about the same size as my Africans and much smaller than my discus. What should I do?

Aggressive isn't typically a word used to describe plecos. I think they'll be aggressive with OTHER plecos when they're older if they don't have enough space to establish their own territories.

They maybe territorial at times. Maybe that is what he was trying to say.

Well he just found a cave that he liked and took it from my most dominant male. So I think he will be fine.

In general plecos are territorial and don't mix we'll with fish like discus.

In general plecos are territorial and don't mix we'll with fish like discus.

Agreed. I want to get a small shy one for that tank though, would a clown pleco work. They are tiny and shy from what I've heard.

Agreed. I want to get a small shy one for that tank though, would a clown pleco work. They are tiny and shy from what I've heard.

The reason it's not recommended to use any type pleco no matter how small is because sometimes pleco's latch onto the sides of large bodied fish and rasp their slime coat off causing injury to the other fish. People still add pleco's to discus tanks and sometimes it will work and other times not.

The reason it's not recommended to use any type pleco no matter how small is because sometimes pleco's latch onto the sides of large bodied fish and rasp their slime coat off causing injury to the other fish. People still add pleco's to discus tanks and sometimes it will work and other times not.

I've heard of this, but I heard shyer olecos wony do this.

I have heard of other types of algae eaters doing that but not Plecos. I have usually see people recommend Plecos because they don't bother fish.

I've heard of this, but I heard shyer olecos wony do this.

It really doesn't matter since any of them have been know to do it. Plus it's easy for the pleco's at night to do it and by the time someone see's it the damage is done.

I have heard of other types of algae eaters doing that but not Plecos. I have usually see people recommend Plecos because they don't bother fish.

I've seen the damage Pleco's have done on large goldfish, large catfish, and discus. Pleco's are prone to do it if they are hungry and don't have suitable food they like and some do it as they acquire a taste for it. I saw my first case of this about 30 years ago on some goldfish.

Oh. Okay. Will probably just get another panda garra or two.

I have two questions. One is how long can I wait for driftwood. I am going to get a small peice of mopani and boil it for a whole day on the weekend, or is there a faster way to prepare it? Second, how do I prepare cucumbers for her, I looked on youtube and couldn't find it. Coul d my cichlids eat this too? Thanks.

I have two questions. One is how long can I wait for driftwood. I am going to get a small peice of mopani and boil it for a whole day on the weekend, or is there a faster way to prepare it? Second, how do I prepare cucumbers for her, I looked on youtube and couldn't find it. Coul d my cichlids eat this too? Thanks.

I use zucchini instead of cucumbers but I imagine you could prepare it the same. I cut 2-3 long strips about 3/8" thick, lay on paper towel, nuke 6-7 seconds, run under cold tap water, then put them on veggie clips and hang on the side of my tanks. All my algae eating fish like them as well as many other fish like my Angels and Cherry Barbs. I would offer them to the cichlids but remember when introducing a new food item it may take several tries before the fish will actually try it.

I use zucchini instead of cucumbers but I imagine you could prepare it the same. I cut 2-3 long strips about 3/8" thick, lay on paper towel, nuke 6-7 seconds, run under cold tap water, then put them on veggie clips and hang on the side of my tanks. All my algae eating fish like them as well as many other fish like my Angels and Cherry Barbs. I would offer them to the cichlids but remember when introducing a new food item it may take several tries before the fish will actually try it.

What do you mean by nuke. And my cichlids are the least picky eaters.

Back
Top Bottom