So far... So... nothing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrcrazypants05

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay so I've seeded my canisters with a bio-fiber pad from my 55 gal... It's been 2 days and my ammonia has been at 0.25~0.5 for the 2 days.... This would be the third morning... So far no I've had no nitrites at all... and I just tested my nitrates at a little above 0... The bacteria has had enough time to have split about like 6-7 times lol... I would think there would be more than enough. Am I just being too impatient?

Shrimp Pellets... With gas prices the way they are... I don't wanna drive 15 miles to get some pure ammonia. My car gets 12mpg that would be $3.50 right now and whatever the ammonia is. I figured since I had the shrimp pellets and they are made for shrimp... why wouldnt they work as well? lol Plus the 2oz thing was like $2 anyway and none of my fish eat it...

that....

if its cycling i think your being to impatient...ammonia builds up at about 7 days so i think it would tank about 10-15 days to actually see nitrates and all that good stuff.

just let it sit for a while and see what happens.

Yes, when seeding with 'seasoned' filter media, you have all the necessary bacteria for the nitrogen cycle...but you don't have enough to deal with the amount of ammonia a fully stocked tank would produce.

So as Jchillin points out, you could have lightly stocked the tank after 24 hours (just for temp stabilization really). Teh shrimp pellets will be a source of ammonia though, so if you don't have any fish to put in just yet, keep putting food in...even overfeed a little, or add some flake food since it breaks down faster than dried shrimp.

well I just threw my 4 giant danios in for now... ammonia is at like 0.5 and i nitrite test started showing a little darker, but not enough to test at 0.25 or whatever... So, I guess we'll see how things go. I was hoping to get my 3 SA Cichlids this thursday, but I've waited this long for this tank so whats another week or so?

oh and btw thats after a 35-40% PWC

Back
Top Bottom