So here is what I got

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jarnism

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
29 gallon fish tank

Penn-Plax Aquari Lux 18" FL-15 flourecent lighting bulp system or whatever it's called

I'm planning on starting out with freshwater fish as it seemed slightly easier so I was wondering if anyone could give me any suggestions on filters, heaters etc etc

Oh, I suppose I could answer your Q :oops:
You want a heater that gives 5 wpg=150watt heater. I don't know what the newest and greatest heater is, but I have been using EboJagers. As for filtering, you want the water to turn over 6-10x the tank gallons=180-300gph; this will depend on how stocked the tank is and if you have fish that are known to be “messy.” Often filters will be rated for a certain size tank, but they do not provide enough filtration and it’s confusing as to how the manufacture rates the filters—empty? Full of media? Big difference in flow rates if the filter is empty vs full. Many here at AA firmly believe in over filtering and go with 10x gph. On my 29 gallon, I use a canister filter, but many HOB filters will also do a great job. I find canister filters to be nice and quiet and less evaporation occurs.

I have an Aquaclear 50 and a visa-therm stealth 150 watt heater on my 29 gallon
Same here. ACs are great filters and I love the Stealth heaters. If you get a black background, you can hide it easily.

hmmm you guys think this tank is big/good enaugh for a saltwater environment?

actually scratch that, way too complicated for me as of right now?

anyway, what about the water pump? is it necessery or what's the use for it

You COULD do saltwater on that size tank but the upkeep would require great diligence since its easy to throw the balances out of whack (I was thinking of doing SW on my 29 and did some research - like you, I scratched the idea !).

FW is enough of a challenge - plus many of the fish are raised in captivity which means you're not depleting a natural resource (another reason I went freshwater).

I have a Whisper HOB filter - not really highly recommened too often, but I'm very happy with it. Just get one that is overrated for your tank - mine is rated for a 60 gallon tank. I too have the Stealth heater - I like the fact that there is no exposed glass which can break.

Nix the saltwater idea, you'll find freshwater plenty challenging. Not to mention about a gajillion times cheaper (though still a wallet denter).

As far as specific recommendations go for things, get a submersible heater and a good one, too. Your heater is one of the most important pieces of equipment, so don't pick the cheapest option (there will be other times when that can be appropriate).

By the way, I am assuming you'll be wanting a warm freshwater tank. Cool ones are an option you should be aware of (and don't require heaters) but they limit your fish options to pretty much goldfish, and goldfish, which produce a lot of waste, require extra filtration and a larger amount of space per tank (ie, you could only keep three or four comfortably in a 29 gallon).

Filters usually move water without needing additional parts, so I don't think a water pump will be required. You might consider an air pump with an airstone to add some bubbles (and thus oxygen) to your tank, though this isn't nessecarily a requirement.

As far as filters, don't get an undergravel filter. They're a bit like spandex or communism: they seem like a good idea but just won't end up working out. Canister filters are nice, but are more high-end and require a bit more expertise with filtration. Good, layman-friendly filters can include powerfilters (which usually hang on back of the tank and have cartridges you can easily replace).

Some basic questions to help you decide what filter is best for you:

Are you familiar with the three types of filtration (mechanical, biological, and chemical) required to maintain a tank? Different filters address these three components differently. The biological component is very important, as this refers to the bacteria you need to have in your tank to convert toxic fish waste to a non-toxic form (gaining the bacteria is known as "cycling" a tank, something vital to having fish but often unmentioned to newcomers to aquariums).

Also, what kinds of fish are you looking to keep (or have you decided)? Some fish have different needs regarding filters (mostly in relation to the currents produced by them).

You should keep in mind that in the beginning, you won't want to have a planted tank, since plants, in most cases, open a whole other (expensive) can of worms with CO2 injection, appropriate lighting, and fertilization. For your first tank (or at least the first while you have), you'll probably want to stick to fake plants. Don't be disheartened, though, some fake plants look great.

For now, I recommend you read, read, read every bit of information you can find, and research every choice you make before you go through with it. Don't rush into anything, as that is a sure way to find disaster.

Good luck, though, and welcome to AA!

rich311k said:
I have an Aquaclear 50 and a visa-therm stealth 150 watt heater on my 29 gallon.

Welcome to AA!!!!

^^^What he said!^^^

I just picked up a cheapo 29g tank/metal stand ($20). I ordered the AC50 and Stealth 150 heater for it last night from Big Al's. Should be here on Friday...

Welcome to AA and good luck!

thanks a lot. I picked up the wrong heater but I will be repacing it soon

Back
Top Bottom