So I got me some Bleeding Heart Tetra's last night.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaysono

Aquarium Advice Activist
Info: http://www.fishprofiles.com/profiles/fw/profile.asp?filename=bleedingheart&404=redirect

Poor lfs....seemed like I was in there for over an hour deciding on what to get. I was so planning on get a neon blue dwarf gourami, but they were all out of dwarfs.

So I was on to the Lamp Eye tetra's, but then I saw the Bleeding Hearts. Though I was tempted to get some other species as well, I didn't know enough about them to purchase, so I got 3 Bleeding Hearts (ya get a deal when you buy 3...go figure) for $5.99.

LOL...I'm a retard getting them out of a bag after acclimation. For some reason I am just so poor at netting...I'm afraid I'm gonna hurt them.

So after they were released, they went straight for the rear of the tank and huddled together swimming back and forth behind all the decorations as a tight school. Whereas danio's are known for schooling too, my danio's all seem to have their own personalities, and while they do school, they often break apart like ADD children and do their own thing for a few minutes and are active explorers.

The Bleeding Hearts, on the other hand are definite schoolers. Hopefully over the next few days when they get use to the new tank they come out a bit more and display their opaque bodies.

Feeding was an experience this morning: The danio's were right there as always foaming at the mouth. Hearts took a while to figure out what was going on, and they would dart up...take one tubiflex and swim fast right back for cover. Wait a second or so and repeat in turn. Whereas the danios' got about 80% of the food, the hearts only got about 20% due to being timid.

Today, I put the light on a timer so they'll get exposed to tank lighting today for the first time. Maybe tomorrow I'll turn back on the bubbler decoration to see how they react to that.

I'll post more later. :)

Well, it's been 1 day and a half at this point. I came home to a lighted tank yesterday (on a timer) and I was happy to see the BH's up in front of the tank, but hanging out still very tightly in the lower left corner.

Danio's seem to be ignoring them and vice versa, so there is no chasing about or bullying going on that I can see. The BH's are still a little skittish...as I approach the tank they back up a bit, whereas danio's figure its time for a feeding.

This morning I found them in the back of the tank again....hiding. :|

Did a watter test on Ammonia and Nitrites and both were still 0 :)

Feeding was still a little exercise in patience. Danio's were once again frothing, but I think the activity brought out the curiosity in the BH's. They finally came out to eat, but they're behavior is funny. They dart...and I mean fast...to the surface and back again mid tank where they must feel safe. Instead of hovering towards the surface...they grab a pellet or flake and swim down...eat...and return to top.

Wife and I will not be home tonight...both of us have to travel tonight for business, but I'll be home tomorrow evening...Hopefully they'll be okay.

Yeah, if I can only get them to eat....I just don't think they realize I'm dumping food at the top where all my danio's are thrashing about. Those fatties eat everything and the BH's are just content looking at each other :roll:

I'm now trying to get their attention....with my luck they'll die of starvation.

I wouldn't panic just yet. :)

When I put my first fish in, 4 green swordtails, they hovered around the bottom and seemed abnormal for at least a week if I can remember right. Even the slightest movement that I would make would send them screaming behind the decorations.

Now, I have difficulty putting my hand in there to grab something, move something around, because I have to be careful not to touch them. They're not scared of my hand or arm, and will come right up to my hand to see what it is and if it is food. hehe! :)

Just give them some time. Even if they are eating just a little bit, they should survive until they get more comfortable. Eventually they will learn when the food comes in, and they will get more. I would really only worry about them starving to death if they ate nothing for a week or something like that. I've read that fish can actually go a week or two without food sometimes (not that I am recommending that!!!). If you were really concerned about this, try dropping the flakes where the filter is dropping the water back in, it will drive the flakes down under the surface into midwater where your tetras will see them and will able to have more of a shot at them.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom