so many interesting fish, so little knowledge and room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

new2fish1992

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i went to the LFS yesterday just to browse well im waiting for my birthday(thats when i get my 29 gallon tank and etc.) and saw so many interesing fish. i would appreciate it if u could tell me so information about these specific fish

dragonfish
freshwater moray eel
any other freshwater eel
black knife
painted glass fish
stonefish
sharks other than bala

some info i would like would be behavior, adult size, any personal experiences, agressiveness, and anything else u think would be useful

When you say dragonfish do you mean arowana? I think a dragonfish would suitably live in your tank, i dont nkow, but i think. ah, here i found something about them "You will have continuous problems unless you keep these guys in brackish water. Add two to three teaspoons of salt per gallon. If they start looking slimy, change half their water and double the salt in their water". Moray eels get very long. Most eels prefer brackish water to i believe, they also get very large, Maybe a better alternative would be the rope fish, which looks like an eel or snake but is just a fish. Even rope fish get very large. One reference says rope fish get as long as 60 cm, which converted is around 25 inches.
Black knife fish also get very large, 1'+ i think.
The painted glass fish is a glass catfish with dye injected into its body, they seldom last longer than a fem months in an aquarium. They do the same thing with glass tetras.
If you like colorful fish like that you can get glolight or neon tetras and such, but iw ould avoid the PAINTED glass fish. you can get glass fish which are just fine and healthy.
The stonefish gets between 35-50 cm long. They are also saltwater i believe.
As for sharks:
THe flying fox gets about six inches long, they are peaceful and can be kept with other fish, they can be kept with other flying foxes as long as the tank is big enough for them each to have their own territory, and good news is, they are suitable to your aquarium.
The rainbow shark also gets around six inches but i think its more aggressive and suited toa larger aquarium, you might could make it work though. (someone correct me ifi'm wrong).
I havent had much experience with sharks though.
Eels are aggressive, stonefish eat any fish that fits in their mouths along with snails and crustacions.
Knife fish are semi aggressive (and large).
Glass fish are a go. and a couple different sharks could work.
What type of aquarium are you looking to have? maybe give us some specifics on what your looking for and we could help with some fish suggestions? best of luck buddy.
HTH ^^.

I believe all the fish you mentioned get too large for a 29g tank. The only ones that don't are the painted glass fish which are dyed, as mentioned above. The dyeing process is very cruel, so I don't suggest you get any type of "painted" fish. Regular glass fish are ok though.

For a 29g I'd look at tetras, maybe 2 schools, some cories, and some rams. Most of the cool fish you mentioned need more like a 55g tank.

Not on your list, but Dwarf Gouramis are very colorful and beautiful and remain at 3" or smaller, suitable for your 29g.........Also the mollies and platies come in some very bright orange and yellow colors, and the guppys have some wild color combos too.

Good luck!

Another really good way to learn about specific fish is to Google each fish by name (preferably the scientific name) and you will get loads of sites on them with great information.
Have fun - this is one of the best parts of fishkeeping ... learning about which fish will work in your tank. Kudos for doing your homework first!

Back
Top Bottom