So my kids now have tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-=Jeff=-

Aquarium Advice Freak
I guess it is a good thing

I started my 40 Gal in 2005 and I still have 3 of the original fish left. I have 3 black fin tetras that started in my tank.. My 3 Serpae tetras all died at some point or other..

Anyway, my son has a 10 Gal tank with 2 Glofish Danios and 2 Gold Danios, a Albino Cory and a Chinese Algae eater.

My daughter has a 5 Gal, cycling waiting to get her first pair of fish

I also am thinking of another pair, I want something colorful, I have a pair fo Giant Danios and a Pair of Australian Rainbows with the tetras and a chinese algae eater..

So what is a colorful decent fish to add?

platys are colorful but they breed like crazy. you could also try a female beta for color.

Platies are good, just get all females. Smaller tetras and rasboras would work for your daughter's tank. Boseman's rainbows would probably be my choice for your tank.

Just a couple words of advice:

Get a couple more corys for your son's tank. Corys do best in goups of 6 or more, but 3 would probably suffice. A single cory tends to get stressed and waste away.

Those Chinese algae eaters get big and aggressive, and they really don't eat much algae. They prefer to suck on flat-sided fish. Otos are better if your looking for an algae eater.

Platies are good, just get all females. Smaller tetras and rasboras would work for your daughter's tank. Boseman's rainbows would probably be my choice for your tank.

Just a couple words of advice:

Get a couple more corys for your son's tank. Corys do best in goups of 6 or more, but 3 would probably suffice. A single cory tends to get stressed and waste away.

Those Chinese algae eaters get big and aggressive, and they really don't eat much algae. They prefer to suck on flat-sided fish. Otos are better if your looking for an algae eater.

Thanks for the advice,

My son originally had the 5 gal and stepped up to a 10 which is why he only had 6 fish which is a bit much for his 5 gal I think. Anyway, he ended up getting 2 neon tetras for himself. My daughter decided on 1 'mickey mouse' platy and 1 Dalmatian Molly, since they are the first one for her, we will see how they do.

As for me.. First I noticed one of my Black skirts is having issues, looks like it will die soon just by the way it is swimming in the tank. I did notice this late last night, but I ended up with 2 Red Glass Barbs, I know they are listed as Semi-agressive, but so are the Giant Danios.. I will see how they work out and I like the color they bring to the tank.

Well apparently, the 2 neons my son got did not survive the night. One was seen hanging out of the filter inlet, and the other cannot be found. My son is bummed, he is 7, Not sure what happened.. but I know he wants a new fish new.. ugh

alot of neons die for no apparent reason... had you thought of glo-light tetras or maybe guppies to replace them? theyre usually a little better and hardier

alot of neons die for no apparent reason... had you thought of glo-light tetras or maybe guppies to replace them? theyre usually a little better and hardier

yeah I actually have 3 baby guppies in a baby net in my tank.. they will not last too long with the bigger fish so i might transfer my 3 little guys in to his tank ( into another net) until they grow a bit

I think he is the right age to enjoy the Guppies, like I did at that age

Back
Top Bottom