So, ottos or kuhli loaches?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldfish loach boy

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have decided that I will put 5 neon tetra, and 3 ADF( African dwarf frogs), now I just want to add one more thing, will 2-3 ottos be good or 3 kuhli loaches
Which has the least bio load?

Otos are more suited to a 10 gallon so I would go with those. Just make sure the tank is several months old as otos are very sensitive

Ok, yes, my aquarium is empty now, but it's still running, it's been up for about a month an a half, I'll get them this weekend, thanks:)

Personally I wouldn't put Oto's in until it's at least 4 months mature and your water parameters have stablized. Has the tank been cycled during the time it's been set up?

Personally I wouldn't put Oto's in until it's at least 4 months mature and your water parameters have stablized. Has the tank been cycled during the time it's been set up?

Yes, the parameters are stable, they are pretty good

A tank that has been up and "running" for 6ish weeks is not mature. And what are the exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? Is the tank planted? Oto's have a high mortality rate as it is since almost all are wild caught and often caught using cyanide.

No more than 3 due to the fact they are very messy eater which tends to put a stress on water quality.

Ok, so 5 neon tetras, 3 ADF and 3 Otos, can I add a dwarf gourami?
This s for a 10 gallon planted tank

A tank that has been up and "running" for 6ish weeks is not mature. And what are the exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? Is the tank planted? Oto's have a high mortality rate as it is since almost all are wild caught and often caught using cyanide.

Yes the tank is panted with anacharis, ad im adding another type of plant, a marimo moss ball, and some moss like x-mas if I can find it

Ok, so I think final stock is
5 neon tetras
3 ottos
3ADF
And one male and one female guppy
Is this good?

Ok, so I think final stock is
5 neon tetras
3 ottos
3ADF
And one male and one female guppy
Is this good?

If you are going to do guppies I would only do males. If you get females with them they will reproduce and over populate the tank pretty quickly. Plus you need two females for every male anyway if you keep females. You can do just male guppies which are more colorful anyway. I think that even though guppies are not necessarily schooling fish, they do like to be together with more of their own kind so I would suggest three male guppies. The guppies and the frogs will mandate that you have very good filtration and weekly pwc's. Weekly pwc's should be standard practice regardless though.

Also, I have four otocinclus. The water parameters are not the only concern for them. As the others have said, the tank needs to be well established because they live on the biofilm that you may not even see that forms from an established tank. If the tank is not established they will starve to death. Based on what I have read even if you put in algae wafers it will not work for them.

So I can keep 5 neon tetras, 3 male guppies, 3 frogs and three ottos, or would it be better 8 male guppies 3 frogs and 3 ottos?

In my opinion, I would not do more than 2 otos in a 10g tank. They are social, but I have never had an issue with them getting overly stressed when kept in pairs. In this case, the issue will be space. Since they are rather picky eaters and often eat only biofilm and algae (many do not eat supplements like wafers), there is not likely to be enough food for 3 of them in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom