So, probably getting an 8 foot, 200 gallon tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't tell you or your parents what to do but I'd kill my daughter if at 15 she wanted to spend 5 grand on an aquarium. As a matter of fact, if she managed to acquire 5 grand I wouldn't even let her have access to it. Keep your money kid and buy a car or start planning for your education.

Ummmm, I already have money for college, I'm still saving up
I already have money for my car
Out of my paycheck, 75% goes to college and 25% goes to me
And I'll probably not even end up wasting the entire 5 grand

This idea sounds really cool but wow i wouldnt even spend close to a grand on a tank. I guess we all have different opinions on how we want to spend our money. Best of luck with the dream tank!

Spotted gar, arowana, pacu and motoros are a no go in that tank. being that they all can get 2-3 feet they would not even be able to turn around. 200 gallons is not a great footprint when its 8 feet long, at least not for monster fish.

Ummmm, I already have money for college, I'm still saving up
I already have money for my car
Out of my paycheck, 75% goes to college and 25% goes to me
And I'll probably not even end up wasting the entire 5 grand

Loach, you sound set. You have shown us that you have thought about this and saved your money. You even detailed out the fact that you have saved money into other accounts (which, by the way, you shouldn't ever have to justify your money situation to anyone, especially strangers. This is between you and your parents and has nothing to do with any of us on this board who have no idea of you and your family's situation). Good for you! I only wish I had the opportunity to do such a thing. Have fun and enjoy!
Oh, and I agree with NOT getting a stingray. I haven't had one, of course, and don't know much about them, but my understanding is they are quite difficult to keep. But, it's your set-up. Do as much research as you can and pay attention to what some of these folks who have had bigger set-ups and experience with these big fish have to say. Let us know how it goes! Cheers!

That sounds like an amazing tank but those fish seem like the would get to big for it

First of all, well done for saving up that much money and for putting it towards this hobby! Second of all, while you are okay with spending that much money on a fish tank which is 200 gallons, I feel that you would be able to get one that size (and even much bigger!) for a much cheaper price. And while I do agree with Jantaris in saying that it is none of our business about how you want to spend your money, i'd hate to see you spend that much money on a tank and then see a bigger one at a better price in a few months time. Presuming you've researched tank prices and this is the best you've found, however - then I say go for it!

As for your stock, I do agree with everyone here about how hard it is to keep stingrays. You may not know this, but when they are ill (which is very common) you have to inject medicine into them due to their lack of fins. If you do want to try this out though and see how it is to keep stingrays, then I say you should consider it! If you do want a stingray though then I suggest you try and find a teacup stingray (make sure it's the real one though). As for your final stocking list, however, I say you take out thee red-bellied pacu indefinitely and then the arowana. You could add a sturgeon instead if you like those? I'm probably going to get killed for suggesting a sturgeon lol.

Good Luck! :)

First of all, well done for saving up that much money and for putting it towards this hobby! Second of all, while you are okay with spending that much money on a fish tank which is 200 gallons, I feel that you would be able to get one that size (and even much bigger!) for a much cheaper price. And while I do agree with Jantaris in saying that it is none of our business about how you want to spend your money, i'd hate to see you spend that much money on a tank and then see a bigger one at a better price in a few months time. Presuming you've researched tank prices and this is the best you've found, however - then I say go for it!

As for your stock, I do agree with everyone here about how hard it is to keep stingrays. You may not know this, but when they are ill (which is very common) you have to inject medicine into them due to their lack of fins. If you do want to try this out though and see how it is to keep stingrays, then I say you should consider it! If you do want a stingray though then I suggest you try and find a teacup stingray (make sure it's the real one though). As for your final stocking list, however, I say you take out thee red-bellied pacu indefinitely and then the arowana. You could add a sturgeon instead if you like those? I'm probably going to get killed for suggesting a sturgeon lol.

Can't agree more! Use your money wisely by doing the research to get the best tank you can for the best price you can. Yep, if you can spend one thousand instead of three or five, all the better for you, clearly! And enjoy!

I have no clue about sturgeon but I've seen them at 7feet long in the wild so..........

My car, I have six grand saved up to buy me a 2004 mustang
College, I ave about 20,000 saved for that, my parents have been saving for college since I was 5, and I have helped save for that
I have my emergency account with 1,500 bucks, so I say I'm ok money wise

Going off experience, $20,000 isn't enough for one year of college anymore.

What happened to you not being able to afford and needed to save up for a heater that would have gone into your proposed 20 gallon tank?? Just curious

I have no clue about sturgeon but I've seen them at 7feet long in the wild so..........

Well, realistically they can get to 4 feet in the aquarium, but according to liveaquaria they can go in 180gallon tanks. Here is a quick description on them:

"The Sturgeon, also known as the Sterlet, is a primitive looking fish that has a long snout and a mouth located on its underside. The rows of heavy plates along the flanks and dorsal surface along with its shark-like tail, add to this primitive look.

The Sturgeon, due to its potential size, will do best in a large community aquarium with numerous rocks and caves with a sandy bottom. This fish is a peaceful giant and will generally leave other tankmates alone. However, it should not be trusted with fish small enough to fit in its mouth.

The Sturgeon is quite hardy and adjusts to aquarium conditions nicely. The temperature may be allowed to rise to 74ºF, but it generally should be kept between 54 and 65ºF. Clean and clear water along with good water current is essential to this fish's health. A powerful filtration system is a must. The Sturgeon won't spawn in the home aquarium, but in nature it breeds from May to June.

Largely carnivorous, the Sturgeon prefers freeze-dried bloodworms and tubifex, pellet food that sinks, high-quality flake food, and meaty frozen foods."

Just an idea of a big fish lol - obviously it's up to you whether you like it and whether you want to read up on it. I imagine it'd be a pretty impressive fish to show-off though lol.

What happened to you not being able to afford and needed to save up for a heater that would have gone into your proposed 20 gallon tank?? Just curious

I too remember loach boy posted a thread saying he had to save more money to buy $150 setup, but now he has 10s of thousands of dollars...hmmm

and with that, this thread dies. 15yr old with thousands of dollars, yet not legally able to get a full time job. Sounded iffy to begin with.

You got some real cash on your hand s then most people do when they were 15 and I think thats just awsome and good luck with everyhing!

You say 200g but gals mean nothing for rays it's the footprint that count

I think by 200g you mean a 8x2x2 that's to small for rays you need min of 3ft wide for any ray apart from scobina which you will never find even if you do find them you will need 30" wide

You say you have $5,000 saved what sort of tank are you setting up for that kind of money it will have a gold stand

You can set up a 200g for half that I set my 1000 gal up for $4,000

A 8x2x2 will also be to small for a Arowana

People think because they have a 200gal they can house any fish they want as they think a200g is massive well that's not the case many fish you see in fish shops are much to big for a 8x2 for example

Arowana
Rays
Tiger shovelnose cat
Fire eel
Pacu
Datnoides

And many many more

You may have the money but that doesn't mean you know about the fish on your list

You need to do more reading

Back
Top Bottom