So what constitutes a nitrite spike?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

logansmomma1228

Aquarium Advice Addict
My nitrites only went to like 1 ppm, now they are at 0. Ammonia was at 4 for 3 weeks, is now 0. Nitrates were 20 but are dropping. Is it possible for nitrites to spike that low? I'm getting excited! I have been testing every day and every other day. About a week or so ago I had posted a thread about seeing nitrates but no nitrites, is it possible they were already being converted? No sign of nitrates in my tap water. Using API liquid kit. Thanks for any advice! :rainbowafro:

One ppm of nitrite is a reasonable spike. The dropping nitrates confuse me though. Keep feeding your tank ammonia and watch your water parameters. If you keep seeing zero ammonia and zero nitrites after twenty-four hours, your tank is cycled. The end is in sight! Keep it up!

Yay! It's possible that I am just misreading the results; the colors are pretty close on that kit. They were at 20 forever. But aren't the nitrates supposed to drop too?

no, the nitrates shouldn't drop on their own since there is no bacteria that consumes them. that is why the night before you add fish at the end of your cycle, you do a 80-90% water change to get the nitrates down to a tolerable level

+1 NitrItes will drop. NitrAtes are the end product of the nitrifying cycle and should only increase. That's why you have to do PWCs.

Back
Top Bottom