So what happens to all those plecos that outgrow their tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We got some hungry people in here! That may explain the plethora of plecos in pet stores! :lol: I don't think many of them live to be that big...after all, the person buying them didn't know too much about the fish in the first place. I admit, I had a pleco at one time...he died within a few months.

Find someone with a REALLY big pond... :)

I know the big LFS in the area sells them to keep in your pond. They have a big pond in the store with a walk bridge over it (this is a HUGE store--used to be a roller rink), and there are several plecos in with the big koi.

Of course, I don't know how you pull off a pond in Arizona without your fish boiling but that's another story... :roll:

sweetsuvvyb said:
Sati - my vegetarian unravelling was a Dick's burger a couple years ago LOL

My BF told me a fake story about a meat tree. Basically some how *they* figured out how to make meat grow on a tree in a melon-like casing. At first I said if such a thing existed I wouldn't eat it. Then I changed my mind. Then I started thinking about eating meat every day for like 3 weeks. One of my coworkers took me to this place that makes great sandwiches and I decided to order pastrami. Man, that was a good sammich! :D Now I'm hooked on Fatburger, lol.

i would like to think that all pleco's that get to big for there tank should get a bigger tank to live in as people should think about size of fish before they buy it as part of the compatabilerty proses. my pleco is only 2inch wide 6inch long but i am going to get a bigger tank very soon to put him in as i would like him to get to 12inch or around that size.....fish&chip...MmMmMmMm :eek:

Madame_X said:
Find someone with a REALLY big pond... :)

I know the big LFS in the area sells them to keep in your pond. They have a big pond in the store with a walk bridge over it (this is a HUGE store--used to be a roller rink), and there are several plecos in with the big koi.

Now that sounds like some fish store! :) A dream come true!

My mother in law takes hers to the pond just down the road. Been doing this for years. I bet there is some major plecos in the thing. :D

My two common plecos, at 7in and 9in, live in a 75 and 90 gallon tanks respectfully.

I hope to never have to give them away, but will if it becomes absolutely necessary. I don't think I will have to though. The 75 will eventually be upgraded to much larger, and I think the 90 is fine.

i just hope you peoples fish arent reading this forum topic :mrgreen:
i feel guilty EATING fish (which i love) in front of our tank!!! 8O

Ever had beer-battered Fish and Chips? Luvly. Used to live in England, and had this a lot. I think I remember what it tastes like....

'course, now I'm a vegetarian, and have been for 10 years. My gf and her mother constantly try to reconvert me. I can't stand it! They don't have even the slightest clue about my morals, and won't listen if I try to explain.

I'm guessing that (as a synthesis of what ppl have said) the majority of these plecs die off in the first year. The few remaining guys either live miserable lives in tiny tanks, or get "donated" back to the LFS.

And I think they and CAEs continue to be sold because smaller algae eaters are harder to breed and find. The Queen Arabesque I have cost me $25 (marked $30). Even the Bushy/Bristlenose is $11 at the LFS. Common plecs usually go for $3-6. Must just be a matter of availability. Such a shame!!! It's a really pity that Queen Arabesques and Zebra Plecs don't grow on trees (like Sati's meat-fruit)!

Mmmmm, meat fruit.... :lol:

And we have some great beer-battered fish here in the Puget Sound area! Mmm, beer battered salmon....

That's too bad about you GF. My BF never bugged me. In fact he knew me as a veggie the entire 3 years we've been together so when I started eating meat he thought I'd gone crazy, lol. My grandparents were cattle ranchers and I got beefed out, but I'm back, baby! I also did it for moral reasons, but my morals are extremely shaky at best... just kidding :D

I want a queen arabesque. I think I like them even better than zebras :]

I am a proud non-vegetarian. :) If I never ate another vegetable, I would not cry. Meat is good, dairy is my weakness, sugar will be my death.

Back
Top Bottom