So who says female bettas aren't pretty?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnPaul

Aquarium Advice Addict
Yes, I have met many people on various forums who have said that--don't get female bettas because they are all drab and ugly. I beg to differ! :)

And yes, she is just as iridescent as the picure shows. After 3 weeks or so in her own tank, I put her in my 29 gal community tank tonight. Not sure if it is going to work out; she tends to follow the Australe's around...have not seen her nip at them so much as once, but she follows them. Dunno if it is an aggression thing or playful thing, but the Australe's don't like it. :? Hoping it's just a curiosity thing, since they are brightly colored (female a beautiful golden yellow with red spots, male a bright neon orange with long flowing "lyretail" fins laced with bands of red and white).

Anyway, here's my beaut of a betta.

Attachments

• betta_irid2.jpg
    betta_irid2.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 1,920
I think female bettas are stunning however i havn't been able to get a really nice one so i just have 1 ordinary one in a community tank. :s
She only showed agrression once when she killed m y guppy

IMO i think most of them are ugly but that first picture is THE prettiest female betta i have ever seen!

Rudy_627 said:
IMO i think most of them are ugly
Wow, I actually don't really like the males but think the females are quite beautiful. I think it's that I don't like the darker color and longer fins that the males have. :|
Strange though, I do like long-finned serpae tetras and long-finned rosy barbs but don't like many of the other larger finned fish such as long-finned danios and male bettas as I already mentioned.. That's just me though. 8)

It just depends on what the lfs has in at the time. Sometimes i've seen real pretty females, while on the other hand, for the most part, most of them are not as pretty as the males. Nice looking fish you have there btw.
-Stewie

Teehee.....:D.....this is my female betta:

Attachments

• lucy_after_1_month_209.jpg
    lucy_after_1_month_209.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 207
Females always look horrible in the cups because they have their stress stripes. :( But once you get them home happy, they are BEAUTIFUL. I like them more than the males.

I think female bettas are lovely. Here is a pic of my geriatric blue female. While she may not be the prettiest out there, I think she's beautiful. :mrgreen:

I also love the look of females over males due to their sharper lines, and I have a thing for fish with round tails. I just picked up a pair last night, I'll try to share some pictures when I find a camera.

Me, males look way better than females, if you want a tank full of females you might as well get guppies! look at these males and you will change your mind!!
i got the pics off www.bettatalk.com

Attachments

• male_bettas.jpg
    male_bettas.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 96
While the males are nice, it doesn't change my mind. I still don't agree that females are ugly. Of course, I never said males were either. I like them both. :wink:

you might as well get a guppy if your just going to get a tank full of females
if you get a male and a female thats ok, theres no point getting a tank full of semi agressive fish if u can get guppies which look practicly the same but are not as agressive! thats what im saying, i didnt say that female bettas where ugly, whoops yes i did, i was just showing my disgust to someone that said that they think female bettas are better, lol,

Actually, I think you are making an argument where there is none. Everyone likes what they like. There is no right or wrong. Also, bettas, male or female, are very, very different from guppies. First, you can't just throw a dozen bettas in a tank and pray they won't breed. As far as looks, it's like trying to compare apples to oranges. To each their own I say. I think the female betta is one of the nicest under appreciated fish out there. And, all fish are beautiful in their own right.

if u can get guppies which look practicly the same but are not as agressive!
Since when do female Bettas look practically the same as Guppies, and since when are Guppies at all aggressive :?: :?:

Oh, by the way AA is nice enough to provide SpellCheck, you should try using it in conjunction with proper sentence structure and grammar :wink: .

GAWD!!!, you take me to literaly! What i mean is that the females have short fins, guppies have shorter fins (for there size) than male bettas, I wish i knew how to quote but i dont, and please dont lecture me on how to quote because, 'Quite, I don't give a tea bag in a hot summers day' (that standard enough english 4 u ChileRelleno) I know how to speak posh (posh england is only 100 miles down the road) but I can't be arsed speaking as if i was speaking to the queen begging for a few million quid! I thought Forums where supposed to be casual, and your from alabama, not Windsor!!! - I thought Alabama was Hill Billy land???? obviously thats changed now and its become New Windsor!!! I'm sorry If you are offended by this ranting but I dont take myself too seriously, and if you can understand me thats all that counts! I know that you put a wink at the end of the sentance and that is going to be your next point! that you were not being serious, but you obviously are!! and now your thinking what a w***** or something along the line of that, but please read over and you will notice that I have a point!!
I was stating my oppinion, like you were, and you have to change it into a full blown war about grammar, why am i even talking about grammar on a fish website, I dont know!!! lol
yes about spellings, if i wanted to spell colour, i would spell it colour not color because thats the british spelling! so whos right there, the answer , nobody, we both have different opinions of how its spelt, is that point anything to do with what is being talked about now? no it isnt, it was completely random, but if your going to say what is the point in being random, why are there human beings?, why are fish called fish? the answer is completely random, one day my cave man saw a fish and he said fish (in one o his busch languages) and that stuck that is the answer, now please can nobody ever bring up the subject of grammar just to reinforce the point and try to make out that the other person is stupid, well i am not stupid, I am 14 (so maybe I am a little immature) but I have an IQ of 140 and I am not stupid, everyone has been immature in there life so if this message sounds immature or wierd (and it is wierd lol) than so be it,
And please no one tell me to calm down!!
I am off to start a post about fresh water turtles,
bye every one

By the way, the "Laughing" emoticon, it means I'm laughing at you in this particular case.

Adolescents...
(Chile wanders off to another thread shaking his head in amusement :roll: )

I'm not touchy, I just dont like having the p*** taken out of me!!!!
and btw we prefer the word teenager lol

Back
Top Bottom