Soap and bacteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quitters

Aquarium Advice Activist
started another thread about my problem coz i need a lot of ppl to see it because not many people will know this so heres the question

quite simply:

does anybody know for sure if soap/detergent kills ammonia->nitrite->nitrate bacteria?

or

if u were using a cloudy ammonia solution for cycling, and it might have soap in it, would the fact that the bacteria is growing really strongly be enough for u to say ok the fish will be fine ill just switch ammonia types just incase?

does anyone actually have scientific knowledge of what soap does to fish and if it does the same the bacteria???
meh

thanks

I don't have the scientific papers to prove the point, but I do have knowledge of science!

Soap & detergents are good anti-bacterial agents, so with high enough concentration, will kill off your nitrifying bacteria. Fish has slime coat to protect the skin, but the gills are susceptible to the effects of soaps. Again the effect is concentration dependent.

I don't know at what concentration soap becomes lethal, or its relative toxicity bacteria vs fish. However, I would not chance it on my fish. On your sig, you are only 3 days into the cycling. You wouldn't lose much by doing a total water change & starting from scratch.

Try to get some pure ammonia from your hardware store to cycle with. Some say ACE has some.

I second what jsoong said and I'm a biotechnology student. Please don't put soap in the water!

nah im not putting any more in im getting the propper stuff before then i just wanted to know. im 3 weeks into cycling now but im gonna start again once the supplier calls me to tell me whats in it. hafta wait till monday thats all thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom