Soap in Aquarium - Need Help to Fix my Mistake!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ali-cat

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Long story short we had purchased a moss ball for our beautiful (but bored) betta - suddenly we started having horrible algae bloom (and betta got fin rot, which is now on the mend), but no amount of water changes in our 3.5 gallon cycled tank could get rid of the algae. We NEVER do 100% water changes (usually about 30% a week) but I was desperate. So I moved our betta into a cup and set the tank aside to clean.

Without thinking, I squirted dish soap into it and gave it a couple of wipes with the brush before realizing my mistake. Panicking, I rinsed it about 10 times but know someone who killed their betta even after thoroughly rinsing out their tank after using soap. I threw out the substrate and the brush and plan to buy new, but am now worried about the tank. Do I need to buy a new one with everything else? Is it completely ruined? I had his little rock house in the sink with the tank and it also got soap on it. I really don't want to kill my betta boy - he's already in weak shape.

I'm going to soak the tank and accessories in a 1/4 vinegar solution overnight then wash it in the shower tomorrow with hot water just in case, but would love to know if everything is salvageable/what I should plan to just buy new.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi there! Welcome to the community and so sorry this stressful situation was what brought you.

Make sure you rinse the edge at top around the rim I would use a sprayer if not in the sink, the shower. Just rinse really well and until you can not see bubbles or smell of the soap including the under rim.

You might need to monitor the parameters really closely since the substrate replacement will likely cause a mini cycle.

After that do you have Prime or can get some?

Letting the tank sit for 12- preferably 24 hours with the 7 times the full amount of prime in the tank to help neutralize any thing which might possibly left.

When I got my 75 gallon it was so nasty, I was alittle scared too after I washed it with dawn dish soap. Everywhere online I read, throw it out, re-caulk it. Blah,blah, blah... I was not about to throw my new gorgeous 75 gallon out. So, I took the garden hose put it on high spray rinsed, and rinsed, and rinsed, till I didn't c any bubbles. I didn't c any when I started but I still rinsed. Made sure I got all around the rim and edges extra good. Then I let it sit in the sun for a wk. U won't have to do that part. But then after a wk. I put some water in to cover the bottom and threw a good amount of table salt in it a scrubbed. Let it dry on the tank till I seen the white coating. Then I rinsed it really good again. Being super paranoid. I then took a bucket of hot water and rinsed it again. When I set it up I put my conditioner in it and let it cycle. Tested the water, looked good tested again the next day, still good. Then about the 3rd or 4th day did a water change. Tested again, ready to go. 3 wks of testing my water and still good, I decided to Ordered some baby angelfish and they are still alive. A little tank like yours I'd just throw some salt in it and scrub it, rinse it good. Then throw some hot water in it to rinse it again. It's OK, you'll b fine. Just condition the water when u fill it.

Thanks everyone!

I let it sit in a vinegar solution for 24 hours, then scoured with a salt scrub and rinsed about 5 times until I couldn't smell anything - neither soap nor vinegar. I then set up his normal setup and put in 7x the recommended amount of API "Quick Start" - is this what you mean by priming the water? I usually use Betta Bowl Plus and Stress Coat, but seeing as I'm almost out of both I'd love some suggestions on what chemicals I should be putting in the water, esp now that my tank cycle is a mess/nonexistent.

My betta is now in a 1 gallon bowl I used api "quick start" and stress coat in and have his heater and a small log for him in. He's acting really stressed and laying on the bottom of his temporary home, but I figured it was better than being stuck in a cup for the next day or so. Very worried about him, but he's always been pretty feisty so I'm hoping he'll be okay for a day or two in the bowl.

This is the Prime I was referring to
Seachem - Prime

I would allow to run until you want to move the fish back in and then do a 50% water change.

Not sure how the 7x of Quick Start would work - it is a different company.

I checked their website, did not indicate other than for SW to double dose. Too much could be bad, I really am not that familiar with this product.

http://apifishcare.com/pdf/FINAL_QUICK_START_Science_Sheet.pdf

Their test results look really good for efficacy for processing stuff for a new tank.

Maybe ask them for an answer?
Welcome to API Fishcare: QUICK START®

I think if your fish taste salt and vinegar they may worry you are setting them up for dinner lol. (Joking)

3% hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle. You can spray everything with that, scrub it in and then just fill it with water for a few hrs. It converts to 02 in water so wont harm anything. Empty it out and you are good to go. You can spray it onto plants and rocks too. Rocks leave it on for 30mins before scrubbing it. Subtrate is cheap enough if should you conside changing it. I use it a lot for cleaning filter pipes too. Loads of tips on here for using it. Hope that helps

Back
Top Bottom