Socking List

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PsiPro

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK I am being hopeful in that I get a new 55 gal, and I just cant decide on what to do with it.

I think I am going to be able to pawn my Puffer problem off on someone else, so here is what I would like to do with the tank otherwise.

Required:
Small School of Cories
Small army (school) of Ottos

Main show fish I would like
xOff the listx Yellow Lab (Electric Yellow Cichlid)
Some Gourami(s)
Clown Loach

Desired but can be bumped in favor of one of the above
Small school of tetras
(x3) Kuli loaches
Bistel Nose pleco

Can somone mention # of what I can have, or what they suggest. How the fish will be happy. What compatibility issues am I creating? Thanks.

Since you really want Cories and Ottos, you can nix the Yellow Labs off your list. They are African Cichlids and should not be mixed with community fish. Even though they are one of the most docile Mbuna, they are still considered aggressive over community fish. Not to mention the water and dietary requirements.

Gourami's make very nice centerpiece fish and are a good choice. So are the Tetras and BN pleco. I'd be concerned though with the Ottos and pleco together. I've never kept them together, but maybe someone else who has can chime in.

Some articles i read said they would be OK comm fish, but msot said they are agressive. Scratched off the list.

What is the concern with the pleco and the ottos?

How many Gourami could be stocked?

Do you have any otehr suggestions for fish? I'm trying to go with colorful fish this tim around, last time was fairly boring fish.

If you want gouramis, IME it's best to either go with only 1 or 4+. Having 4 or more helps to spread out territorial behavior. Also, should get similarly sized ones and depending on the species, usually go with mostly females.
If you're getting clown loaches, you should go with at least 3 and be aware of the size they can attain.

This stocking should be fine:
1 or 4-5 gourami(s)
6-7 tetras
4-6 cories
3-5 clown OR kuhlii loaches
3-6 ottos (added only after tank is well established)

One other fish I forgot to mention was German Blue rams.

I know Clowloaches have potential to be huge, which is why i didn't really think i would be able to keep them since three would get very large for the tank.

LWB, I was considering angelfish, but they are overdone :) I dont really like em.

So are the Tetras and BN pleco. I'd be concerned though with the Ottos and pleco together. I've never kept them together, but maybe someone else who has can chime in.

I have 5 oto's and 1 13" Red Sailfin. He can't be bothered with them.

The tetras cause more problems with oto's. if they try swimming around the blackskirt tetras will nip at them.. suprisingly the Congo's leave them alone. However the congo's do like the taste of Neon's..

I have German Blues, been in my tank for about 2 weeks. Beautiful fish, but there has been mixed successes. some say it is acclimation, but I just dumped mine in and they recovered instantly and have been doing well (the bag floated for about 1 minute, then they were let out)

Wizzard~Of~Ozz said:
I just dumped mine in and they recovered instantly and have been doing well (the bag floated for about 1 minute, then they were let out)

Haha.

The tetras I was going for were the neon or black neon tetras, I like the look of em on a dark planted aquarium.

Would Rams and Gourmies be compatiable? In small numbers obviously.

Black Neon tetras are far more durable/tolerant.. The neon stock that is out there right now seem to be very weak and suffers huge dieoff.
Don't know about gourami's, I won't keep them as they require different treatment.

Back
Top Bottom