Soil substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ferret

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've pondered a small lowtech planted tank. Everything suggested by others for it makes sense except for one detail..

A layer of soil was suggested for the lower half of the substrate, with uncoated gravel on top. This leads to the very important question.. How would you prepare soil for use? How would you avoid muddying the water?

This tank would be one of those Marinelane Eclipse 3 systems, with light and powerfilter/bio-wheel in the hood.

I was contemplating doing this myself at one point after having read the book, Ecology of the Planted Aquarium by Diana Walstad. From what i understand, you should let the soil soak to become water logged and then add it to your tank. Then put down the layer of rock and slowly pour your water in. it helps to put a plate or bowl in the tank to pour the water onto. If the water gets a bit murky just give it time to settle.

What type of soil are you planning to use?

HTH

:D

I'm considering using it myself. From what I've read, it sounds like the best thing to do is to use *unfertilized* potted plant soil (w/o chemical ferts added). Let it soak for a couple days, but stir it occasionally and pour off whatever floats to the surface.

Once you get it into the tank, cover it with an inch or so of water, let it settle for awhile, then add gravel gently. And then use a plate like eykis9 said.

I've never done it before, but that's the little plan I have going in my head. . .

Hey Ferret. How large a tank? I've also read Diana Walstads book (which is excellent for anyone that wants to learn about a planted tank).

I decided against using soil after speaking to many people because it really takes about 6 weeks for things to cycle properly, and during that cycling process you can be creating a smelly cesspool.

If the tank were small enough to break down and clean easily, it would be worth the chance. But I wouldn't want to have to do that for a very large tank.

Brian

I decided against using soil after speaking to many people because it really takes about 6 weeks for things to cycle properly, and during that cycling process you can be creating a smelly cesspool.

I have a tank with soil, regular backyard clay dirt, mixed with peat, and covered with pea gravel. I was lucky, because mine was sitting outside in a big container, and had been waterlogged for a couple months, so I never got the smelly cesspool effect in my tank. Plants grow well, but planting/moving stuff creates a muddy mess, takes like a day to clear the water afterwards. 45 gallon high tank.

Well my logic is like this: An aquarium becomes a huge investment in time and money. The easier it is to set up and care for, the more joy I'll get from it. :D

When I set up that tank, I had the tank, light, and good filter. Had soil, peat, and gravel. Had a serious itch to set up tank. Had plants to try from pond, or collected from local lake.

Had no money. Set up tank that way for free, it's been going for 1.5 year now.

Next plan for it, just switch a few plants and go brackish, get more puffers!

Pet Solutions sells SeaChem Flourite @ 9.99 for a 15lb bag. This is exaclty enough to cover a 10g tank. You use this instead of gravel. Won't make near the mess/stink of soil.

Back
Top Bottom