Some frisky Gouramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zezmo

Aquarium Advice Addict
I had a nice little surprise in my tank last Friday. I was opening the cover to look at some plants, and I saw a single fry swim by. I grabbed my turkey baster (for fish only :wink: ) and plopped him into my "hanging hospital". It was so tiny, it still had the yolk sac in its belly. I wasn't sure what kind of fish it was exactly. I looked all around that side of the tank, and from all the sides... I didn't see any others. I figured the rest of the babies were already lunch.
Now about 2 weeks ago I floated some pieces of Pennywort on top of a nice grove of Ludwigia to let them grow out a bit before planting. These had grown to a nice little jungle.
So I was watching my tank and noticed that my two older Male Dwarf Gouramis were looking beat down and on the bottom of the tank. In fact I noticed that most of the fish were in groups to either side or the bottom. My third Dwarf Gourami male, who I figured was way to young to nest or mate, is defending the middle of the tank like crazy. I see him hiding behind the jungle, and any fish that comes near is chased off.... lol... this little guy is keeping the whole tank at bay.
I figure I better do something about this. I go and remove the cover on that half of the tank, and was blown away. The tops of all of the Pennywort leaves have little baby Gouramis in them. In the center of all that is a nice bubble nest. I sucked out little babies for over an hour. In all I rescued at least 200 of these little guys. I have 4 breeding females in that tank. With this many babies, they are most likely from more than one of the females. Then I had to move the plants nest etc, to de-aggro things a bit. The whole center of the tank has been "relandscaped" ;-) The tank is peaceful again. :D
I have two babies (from my Flame male) that I hatched from eggs about a month ago in another tank. That tank has a nice huge mop of java moss that is home to a nice colony of copepods (daphnia). I will feed the new babies on micro foods for a few days, then I will xfer them to the other tank, and put those two in my ten gallon, that only has snails, tons of clippings, and the rest of that mop of java moss.
Getting my Gouramis to breed is one of the main things I am always trying to make happen in this tank. There are females in there of all types of Dwarf Gourami. So, I am pretty happy about having gotten so many fry and the possibility they may be of several different color variations.

I figure I better do something about this. I go and remove the cover on that half of the tank, and was blown away. The tops of all of the Pennywort leaves have little baby Gouramis in them. In the center of all that is a nice bubble nest. I sucked out little babies for over an hour. In all I rescued at least 200 of these little guys. I have 4 breeding females in that tank

Just by being a conscientious hobbyist, you made a discovery that most people never get to see.

Congrats on your new babies. :)

Wow Congrats. Its always fun to open the lid and get a GOOD suprise:)

wow thats really cool.. i have been trying to get female dwarf's forever but nobody aroundme seems to have them :( supposedly a LFS was going to order a couple for me, i dont know how reliable they are yet though.. the man seemed a little reluctant, i even offered to pay for them in advanced to make sure he got them...

The female DG's are hard to find around here too. I got lucky in that a lfs had a tank overstuffed with sickly little Gouramis. I took a risk and bought a total of 7. 4 of them died, the last 3 I was able to nurse back to health. That was in like March of this year. Then last month at my local aquarium society auction (SVAS) I bought a pair of young Gouramis. I really only wanted the female, the male I intended to fatten up and sell at next month auction. He ended up being the father of all these babies, so I guess he has earned himself a permanent spot in that tank. As for his babies, I am hoping that a fair number end up being female. I am hoping to sell them to LFS and at the society auctions. That should help make them more available locally.

Thanks for the feedback, I will keep you posted as to how they are doing. As of this mornign they were happily zooming all around thier little tank... hiding under the duckweed... minature Gouramis under miniature lilly pads ;-)

Back
Top Bottom