Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-13-2006, 06:44 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Some nitrate batceria questions

I am in the process of cleaning a 90 gallon "lack of maintenence" aquarium. This tank is SO SKANKED!! Everything I dissasemble to clean has a HUGE amount of thick brown sludge adheared to it. Is this sludge the nitrate bacteria that breaks down ammonia? My last question is I have a 5 gallon pail about 1/2 full with gravel and sand and water. Should I use this gravel in my new setup, or is this not a good idea? Thanks,
Rich

Old 05-13-2006, 08:22 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

No, that sludge is just what it is...sludge. There may be a lot of bacterial colonies living in it but it is useless in terms of trying to save it.

Where did this gravel come from?

Old 05-13-2006, 09:13 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchillin
No, that sludge is just what it is...sludge. There may be a lot of bacterial colonies living in it but it is useless in terms of trying to save it.

Where did this gravel come from?
The gravel is a small amount left over that was actually in use in the tank. I threw most of the gravel out, as I had no place to store it while I moved the tank. Ever try to lift a 90G tank with 2" of gravel in the bottom????!!!! Screw that, I would have ended up in the ER.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:36 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I can't imagine trying to move something that large. That gravel should be fine.

Tags
nitrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com