Someone help, is this mouth rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kyle567

Aquarium Advice Regular
20180113_103457.jpg
I woke up this morning and found my roseline shark swimming vertically up in the corner of my tank. Then after looking closer he has a white spot on his lip that the over barbs don't have. Is this mouth rot?

I would not move him till he and everyone in th QT looks better.
Do you have other Denisons in the 75 ? They are schooling fish who look for their own for comfort and security..I have 11 in my 180g ,8 of them for the last 5+ years.
What temp is the QT..
I would get it under 75 if possible.

I would not move him till he and everyone in th QT looks better.
Do you have other Denisons in the 75 ? They are schooling fish who look for their own for comfort and security..I have 11 in my 180g ,8 of them for the last 5+ years.
What temp is the QT..
I would get it under 75 if possible.
It's at 25 degrees, and I no these are the only two left in the shop when I got them I have a lot of similar sized barbs though so I assumed they would be fine

Read the first link at least . It is an easy read and very helpful IMO.
Just look for more roselines when they come in..5+ is best IMO.

Read the first link at least . It is an easy read and very helpful IMO.
Just look for more roselines when they come in..5+ is best IMO.
Yeah Will buy some more if I see them, thanks a lot for the help

He may just be rubbing on the glass a lot ?
Torpedo shaped fish are 'Sprinters' and often if uncomfortable with glass surf trying to expand their territory..
Keeping the water clean with added water changes can't hurt.

He may just be rubbing on the glass a lot ?
Torpedo shaped fish are 'Sprinters' and often if uncomfortable with glass surf trying to expand their territory..
Keeping the water clean with added water changes can't hurt.
Yeah I've just done a complete deap clean and an 80% water change. I'll buy some medicen on Amazon prime later as well

I'm 99.9 % sure that Bandit is correct. Your Denison Barb is suffering from Columnaris. Five years ago I lost 3 out of 6 Denisons to the same disease. All were full grown adults, 4 y.o.
5" long. One started have a spinal bend like fish TB. All three had the white growth around the mouth. Once I recognized the disease, I removed and euthanized the sick fish. Afterward I conducted a world class gravel vac / WC. All other tankmates survived. Only the Denisons were affected.
IMO, once the symptoms of Columnaris are noticed, meds are useless. In my case: although I always practice regular water maintenence, I tend to overcrowd my tanks. That situation is not compatable with Denison Barbs. They are a fish that require pristine water and evidently are susceptible to bacterial infections.

I cannot believe it but when I put my tank back today I must have nudged the corner over the edge of the chest of draws it was on because the tank bottom cracked. It was lucky I saw before there was no water left in the tank. Now I've had to move all my fish into the 75 gallon I'm not sure how they'll all get along but I have no other option

They are a fish that require pristine water and evidently are susceptible to bacterial infections.
5-6 years ago many were still wild caught and strong stock.
Now the Asian fish farms have achieved captive breeding with the use of hormones. I have no clue if that alone has any effect on their stability, but I would rather have young fish raised in the wild then a fish farm any day...
My last 4 are probably captive bred .There were 5 when I got them but one in the LFS was so poor I was not even entertaining 'rescuing' it for free...I took the 4 healthy looking ones.
I know they prefer cool water which I don't match...I am always upper 70's like 78 .

I cannot believe it but when I put my tank back today I must have nudged the corner over the edge of the chest of draws it was on because the tank bottom cracked. It was lucky I saw before there was no water left in the tank. Now I've had to move all my fish into the 75 gallon I'm not sure how they'll all get along but I have no other option
If it is only on the Denison he may recover in the larger tank.
I would not have recommended it ,but it is a good thing for him.
Just watch your other fish..

Yeah I have seen they are becoming extinct in the wild though so you'd hope they would stop getting them from the wild.

Back
Top Bottom