Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-09-2006, 02:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to lyquidphyre
Someone keeps beating up my golden barb

Many months ago, my golden barb had what looked like lock jaw- his mouth was stuck in the open position- but then after a few hours it "popped" back into place.

Now, this same barb has an eyeball that is "popped out" of socket (not dangling or anything)

I wonder if his eye will go back in his head like his mouth magically repaired itself.

Also, how does a fish get injured like this? (twice)

None of my other fish have substained inuries like this.. why this one golden barb?

Other tank mates include-
2 hatchets
another golden barb
5 odessa barbs
2 small angels
2 kribs (added them last nite)
2 cories
1 RTB shark
13 serpae tetras

The angels are extremly docile.. the only bullies are my odessa barbs, and they aren't *that* bad

lyquidphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 02:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

How big is the tank and what are the water parameters? What type of filter do you have?

Test the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH. Pay close attention to nitrate. Let us know the results. Numbers please

An eye popped out is an indication of Popeye. It is a disease generally spurred on by poor water quality. High nitrates indicate the amount of dissolved and undissolved waste in a system. This waste serves as an ideal environment for disease causing bateria and fungi. There are medications to treat popeye, but the environmental factor must be catered to for successful treatment and to avoid recurrance of the disease.

After testing the water, start decreasing feeds to every two day, what the fish can eat in two minutes. Try splitting that two minutes worth of food into two or more portions and feed throughout the day instead of one large feed. You can also do a small water change two to three times a week...but only take out about 5% each change. Small but frequent. Also, replace carbon and maintain the filter. Rinse media bags with used tank water to prevent lossing bio. Clean hoses and compartments.

The fish should be isolated...put into a hospital tank.

Once we know more about your tank, we can further help you.

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
TCTFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 03:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's a 75gal planted tank with an Ehiem canister filter (professional 2 or something)
I figure it has nothing to do with my parameters, but I did a check anyways-
ammonia/nitrates = 0 nitrites = <.3 pH = 7.2-7.4
I feed my fish every other day, or every other three days

I really think it has something to do with an aggressor. Either that, or he ran into something

Old 01-09-2006, 04:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok. Now that we know so far that water quality is not a factor in the case, we can look at other things. It's always good to test the water whenever there is something wrong to either confirm or deny problems in that area. Keep feeds down...keep to your normal maintenance routine, but do service the filter. Sometimes bacteria and fungus can get a foot hold in the gunk that get trapped in tubes and compartments without really making a noticeable change in nitrate levels. Especially with a good filter.

Still could be caused by disease causing bacteria and fungus. You still would rather isolate the fish from the general population...just in case. It is contagious. Once you are positive on the cause of this popped eye, then appropriate medication can be applied.

Observe the fish closely. When lights are off, you can use a red light to observe the fish without disturbing their night time cycle. It is also possible that the fish could have banged it's eye. Other than the popped eye, are there any scrapes, scratches, tears or faded areas around the eye? Perhaps indicating obvious injury?

Regardless of what the popped eye originates from, you can help the fish by adding stress coat. Best kept in a hospital tank fitted only with a sponge filter, heater, thermometer and a plastic hideout. Bare bottomed.

You could treat the fish with Methylene blue...a disease prevention, if the problem is due to injury. Use Malachite Green...a disease treatment if the problem is disease, but treatment with any chemically based medication should only be done in a hospital tank to avoid damaging plants and other fish. MelaFix (preventative) and PimaFix (treatment) are natural alternatives for situations where the animal cannot be isolated and will not harm bio, live plants or uninfected fish.

Let me know how it goes

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
Old 01-09-2006, 04:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

He doesn't have any other problems with him, other than the eye (no nipped fins etc), and Im wondering if he just plain out hurt his eye... just because of the "lock jaw" incident he had a few months ago.

Here are some pictures-

Old 01-09-2006, 11:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

The first photo shows the eye very well. That is Popeye. There are several onsets of popeye and though in this case water quality isn't a factor it's still popeye. Hard to treat but not impossible. You still want to isolate the fish from the system. The fish could have been injured and it may have created an abscess that formed into popeye...but nonetheless...it's popeye.

Use an antibiotic such as Malachite green as directed. If you cannot isolate the fish, then you will have to treat the entire tank. In that case use PimaFix or MelaFix to help avoid damaging the plants.

If treatment is unsuccessful with up to two rounds of treatment, then switch to a medication with a different active ingredient. Bacteria can develop a resistance. Switching meds after about two rounds of using one type of med. should help avoid this problem.

Do not be alarmed if the fish losses the eye. It may fall out in cases where the water behind the eye (the element causing the popped out of socket appearance) doesn't drain. Fish can live just fine with one eye. Good luck.

Nov/2004

Tags
barb, eat, eating, golden

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com