Something ate my tetras.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joeybsmooth

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey,

I had a new tank set up, with new fish. I have two white mollies, Two blue gouramis, and a baby turtle.

I had some neon tetras, but something ate them. What would you guess was the criminal ?

I am guessing the gouramis, they seem they chase each other around sometimes. So it seems like it might be them. I always keep turtles and fish so I know they are always fit the profile ... but he is really tiny and like 5 tetras as eaten so I don't think it could have been him.

My bet would be the turtle. Blue gouramis can be kinda aggressive, but I don't think they'd eat the tetras.

If you have a turtle in with your fish, one can assume it's an aquatic turtle which means it's primary diet is.............FISH. In the future, I'd either set up a turtle tank with some fish you add for the turtles to feed on ( and you enjoy until then) or a fish tank with no turtles.
Hope this helps

Thanks all.. I still think it is the BGs since they are so mean.. and my turtle is so cute lol, but I will take your word on it . Anywho since all the fish in there now are bigger then the turtle I will not do anything. If it was the BGs I would have moved them to another tank. The turtle is just in this tank until he grows up and can live with my other turtles.

Blue gouramis are territorial but assuming you feed them often they would have no reason to after the tetras.

My baby turtle like to bite on the tail of my smaller goldfish he did that twice and both fish ended up stuck in the filter and dying cuz they had absolutely no tail at all. He doesn't mess with the year old one though.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I will put my life on i know for a fact that the turtle did it i did the same thing i put a turtles With another fishes and they are them it happens so separate them

Elmer morales

I'm betting all my money that the turtle ate it. I wouldn't keep turtles and tropical fish together due to the possibilities of the fish being eaten. There is also a risk for your other fish to get eaten to.

Fish are turtle's natural food, so probably the turtle did it. Two different tanks would be better. Petco is having the $1. fish tank sale if you are near one.

I have a turtle tank with big aggressive fish that normally are OK with each other knock on wood.. I am going to put my turtle in that tank when he gets bigger. Now he is too tiny.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom