Something for the top third and why do my plecos die???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carlos_421

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've got a 30 gallon tank that I've been slowly transitioning to a new world only tank. It already had two upside down cats and two Kuhli loaches but otherwise all my fish are South American. My plants are also new world except the pre-existing java ferns.
Anyway, my angelfish is the only one who spends much time in the top half of the tank so it often looks kind of empty. What else can I get that will spend time in the top portion of the tank to add some action up there? I'll say up front I'm not a huge fan of the surface dwelling that hatchets do. Just want something that will swim around the top half and open areas. Some type of tetra or other schooling fish maybe?
The rest of what I already have is a GBR, Bolivian ram and 12 neon tetras.

Also, I have had horrible luck with plecos ever since I was a kid. I've never been able to keep them longer than a couple months. My bristlenose died today after about 2 months.
Is there something I should know on how to keep them alive? I supplement food with wafers and I get thick algae on my tank glass.
I've had common plecos, rubber lips and bristlenoses. All of them die.
Or maybe there's another good SA algae eater I could try? Except otos because they die even faster.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks!!!

I recently bought Zebra fish and they swim at the top of the tank most of the time, and are very beautiful :)

Do you have driftwood in your tank? Plecos NEED driftwood to gnaw on or they'll be prone to digestive problems. And yeah, nerite snails are great algae munchers too.

New World Tank: Fish for the top half and pleco advise

I've got a 30 gallon tank that I've been slowly transitioning to a new world only tank. It already had two upside down cats and two Kuhli loaches but otherwise all my fish are South American. My plants are also new world except the pre-existing java ferns.
Anyway, my angelfish is the only one who spends much time in the top half of the tank so it often looks kind of empty. What else can I get that will spend time in the top portion of the tank to add some action up there? I'll say up front I'm not a huge fan of the surface dwelling that hatchets do. Just want something that will swim around the top half and open areas. Some type of tetra or other schooling fish maybe?
The rest of what I already have is a GBR, Bolivian ram and 12 neon tetras.

Also, I have had horrible luck with plecos ever since I was a kid. I've never been able to keep them longer than a couple months. My bristlenose died today after about 2 months. I got lots of algae on my tank walls while he was alive.
Is there something I should know on how to keep them alive? I supplement food with wafers and have a small piece of wood in there.
I've had common plecos, rubber lips and bristlenoses. All of them die.
Or maybe there's another good SA algae eater I could try? Except otos because they die even faster.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks!!!

Before I knew any better, i kept 2 bristlenose plecos without driftwood and they were healthy for 2 years until I got some. I'm sure they're much happier with it, but I doubt that would be what's killing the OPs plecos. Would definitely still be worth trying though.

I'd like to stick with fish from the Americas (south vs central doesn't matter).

What about Serpae Tetras? Would they stick to the top half? Also, would they nip too much to keep with my Angelfish? I've heard they can be nippers but I never saw this when I had them as a kid (it's been that long) and I like them pretty well.

Also, I do have wood in the tank for the pleco and I gave him two algae wafers about 2 or 3 times a week (this is while algae continued to accumulate on my tank walls).

Before I knew any better, i kept 2 bristlenose plecos without driftwood and they were healthy for 2 years until I got some. I'm sure they're much happier with it, but I doubt that would be what's killing the OPs plecos. Would definitely still be worth trying though.

A sample size of two is statistically insignificant. It demonstrates only that something is possible and cannot be used to infer probability.

General pleco care guidelines include driftwood for a reason and that is not negated by some surviving for a period of time without it.

The simple truth is that repeatedly losing fish of a particular species suggests inadequate care or lack of knowledge about the species. Since driftwood was present and can be ruled out as the cause, they may have slowly starved. Most species of plecos are omnivores and have voracious appetites. They cannot subsist long term on a diet of tank algae and an occasional algae wafer.

A sample size of two is statistically insignificant. It demonstrates only that something is possible and cannot be used to infer probability.

General pleco care guidelines include driftwood for a reason and that is not negated by some surviving for a period of time without it.

The simple truth is that repeatedly losing fish of a particular species suggests inadequate care or lack of knowledge about the species. Since driftwood was present and can be ruled out as the cause, they may have slowly starved. Most species of plecos are omnivores and have voracious appetites. They cannot subsist long term on a diet of tank algae and an occasional algae wafer.

Good point. There are lots of variables to take into account. Maybe my tank had more algae growth than the OPs so they were able to survive on that.

Good point. There are lots of variables to take into account. Maybe my tank had more algae growth than the OPs so they were able to survive on that.

This still seems weird to me because it seemed like the algae was growing faster than he could keep up with it.

Hmmm I'm not sure then. Perhaps your source just has unhealthy stock?

What is your current stock list? From the various fish listed already, it looks as though you are already fully stocked, if not overstocked. I would take a look at your stocking list and reevaluate before adding more fish.

What is your current stock list? From the various fish listed already, it looks as though you are already fully stocked, if not overstocked. I would take a look at your stocking list and reevaluate before adding more fish.

Right now I have 1 angel, 1 gbr, 1 bolivian ram, 2 khulis, 2 upside down cats and 12 neons.

I do water tests and everything is consistent and stays where it should be. It just seems like these and otos are the only fish I can't keep alive.

Maybe the problem is that I buy them from petsmart...

Also, we're not talking about a fish every two months for several years in a row. More like over the past fifteen years I've had four or five and they all died prematurely.

Otos are well known for bring difficult to keep in an aquarium. But plecos? Pretty hardy, in general. Of course, living on the bottom does have certain inherent disadvantages. If the water isn't well-circulated, that's where quality is poorest. I have a deep tank now so made sure I bought a strong air pump and a bubble disk to make a vertical circulation pattern. Just things to look at/consider.

I still think you'd be happier with nerites if you're after algae control. That's all they do and they are superb at it.

BTW, you can learn a lot just hanging out in the fish department and observing. There is one PetSmart where I won't shop until they make some major changes (staffing/tank care/etc.) and another that I wouldn't hesitate. It's really a matter of who's running the show locally. And Petco also gets a bad rep in some places but there are a couple of good ones here. I actually saw the folks at one steer a newbie away from buying any fish that day and gave her a pamphlet on cycling.

Thanks for those tips! I do have an airstone providing strong upward circulation in the back right corner.
And yes, it's weird because plecos are typically very hardy fish. Weirder is that my brother-in-law has the same bad luck with them except for the one giant common pleco he has in his oscar tank.

So about the nerite snails...do they eat all kinds of algae (even the brown and green spot algaes)? Also, would they harm my plants?

Thanks so much for all the feedback!

Last edited:
For reference, this is the tank. The piece of driftwood I have now is small (behind the smaller rock table). I'm looking for a larger piece to put where the small rock table is to add more structure and I plan on adding a few more plants as well. Perhaps some hornwort, micro swords and red swords.

So are there any other ideas on what to add that will swim mostly in the top half of the tank? I'd like to stick with the South American theme.

Any other ideas for algae eaters besides plecos or advice on how to keep them alive if I try another one?

Attachments

• IMG_0763.jpg
    IMG_0763.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 48
Back
Top Bottom