Something New & Interesting.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HollieDahhrlinn

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,
I have 1 albino paradise, 2 Danio's and 1 Chinese Algae Eater Whom i will be re-homing in the future as he grows.
I want something new for my 15L tank (dont bash about the size my fish are happy and i dont want to be shouted at for my tank when its fine) - i have looked at Amano or Amino shrimp but i think they are alittle bit weird looking.

Any Suggestions?
Hollie x

I would not add anything. A 4 gallon tank just isn't big enough. I'm not bashing you but it's obvious you realize this based on how defensive you got before anyone even commented.

I'm not into "community" fish but I'd think maybe some guppies and a couple ghost shrimp would be a better choice.

You could probably add another danio or two but that would be about it. The albino, is that an albino paradise gourami? If so that will most likely be the first fish to go to a new home, probably pretty soon too. You could look into any of the freshwater shrimp, they would be perfect in a 4g.

If it was me, I wouldn't add any more fish. I would actually remove the ones you have and make it a shrimp only tank. I think any fish other than a betta would be too cramped in a 4g. Danios are active fish, they like wide open areas to swim. I would save up and get at least a 10g before you add anything else.

Hollie, I think you need to give into that little voice in the back of your head whispering "Get a bigger tank!"

It happens to us all. Welcome to the madness.

Hello,
Its An Albino Paradise Fish With Red Eyes.
I was looking into Amano or Amino Shrimp which i have decided on.
My fish are fine and my tank is cool and pretty.
The Danios are fine, they are active and i feed them bloodworms etc every week. x

typically... aquarium advice works a bit better, if followed.
why ask?
load it with unsuitable fish if it tickles your fancy...

My fish are fine and my tank is cool and pretty.
The Danios are fine, they are active and i feed them bloodworms etc every week. x
how do you know? an oscar can appear happy in a 4g tank too, for a while. but its not. would you be happy living in a closet? sure you would have enough room to turn around and eat, but you couldnt do much excercise. if you actually read the rules of this forum, ethical fishkeeping is something everybody here is adamant about. part of ethical fishkeeping is providing a tank big enough to provide a healthy environment for your fish. Overstocking falls in to that category too. Not saying youre being unethical to your fish, but seriously think about how you would feel living in such a cramped space.

how do you know? an oscar can appear happy in a 4g tank too, for a while. but its not. would you be happy living in a closet? sure you would have enough room to turn around and eat, but you couldnt do much excercise. if you actually read the rules of this forum, ethical fishkeeping is something everybody here is adamant about. part of ethical fishkeeping is providing a tank big enough to provide a healthy environment for your fish. Overstocking falls in to that category too. Not saying youre being unethical to your fish, but seriously think about how you would feel living in such a cramped space.

+1

+2

That paradise i can tell you is cramped already. Also i think a 4g is a little small for danios. They are very active.

it may not be at this moment, but it will soon enough. according to live aquaria (a very good site for fish compatability) a paradise fish requires a tank of 30 gallons or more. a chinese algae eater requires a tank of 30 gallons or more, and zebra danios (assuming thats what you have) need at least 10 gallons. The ONLY fish that they have compatable with a 4 gallon tank are betas. 10 gallons is the MINIMUM for ANY fish IMHO. I know you are trying to take care of them the best you can, but it is just not possible to have fish live healthy and happy in such a small tank. Soon enough, the outsides of the fish will stop growing, but the inside wont, the danios cant swim and be as active as they like (they are some hyper little fish) and youre going to be battling diseases as long as you have them in such a small tank because they will stay stressed and their immune systems will be weakened. Im not trying to discourage you at all, and i really really can see the enthusiasm that you have for these fish, but in all honesty, you need a bigger tank. If you could just get a 10g tank for now, your fish would be so much healthier and happier than they are now. Do you understand why we keep telling you you need a bigger tank now?

Hey,
Thanks for the reply.
I do understand alot better than i did.

The breeder who sold me the paradise said it would be okay to go in a 15L, a proper breeder! My Danio's are also swimming okay and everything?? My chinese algae eater as i said is being moved soon due to his size, he's not growing alot yet so he's okayy, Should be going in around 3 weeks, maybe even next week depending on who wants him.
Will be sad to see him go! he's such a cute little fella.

But i cant get a bigger tank due to space so a 15L is all i have.

If a 15L is what you have to stick with then I would try to re-home the paradise fish as soon as possible. Once you remove him/her you could add some of the amano shrimp that you seem to like. I would say 2-3 for a tank of your size. If you went with some of the smaller FW inverts, like Red Crystal Shrimp or even Ghost shrimp you would be able to keep 10+.

Hey,
Thanks for the reply.
I do understand alot better than i did.

The breeder who sold me the paradise said it would be okay to go in a 15L, a proper breeder! My Danio's are also swimming okay and everything?? My chinese algae eater as i said is being moved soon due to his size, he's not growing alot yet so he's okayy, Should be going in around 3 weeks, maybe even next week depending on who wants him.
Will be sad to see him go! he's such a cute little fella.

But i cant get a bigger tank due to space so a 15L is all i have.

This is a VERY common mistake a first time aquariust runs into. You never want to listen to the breeder or guy at the fish store. You got to remember they have 1 thing in there mind, "i need to make this sale". So unless you go to the breeder regularly and confirm his info and he gives you good info over and over again that is only time you trust them. So try to go to the store with what you want in mind and ask US or someone else that is experienced questions.

As for your tank just learn and fix your mistakes. I started out with a senegal bichir in a 20g tall. This is a fish that gets a foot long and there are species of bichir that get up to 3 feet long. Great fish, LOTS of personality and very cool. And there are tons of fish out there like this and they are my favorites. I could name dozens of the top of my head but i just do not have the room for such large fish at the time since i am with my parents. When i move out i plan on buying a moving out gift for myself and buy myself a HUGE tank.

So just fix you mistakes as you go.:bowl:

This is a VERY common mistake a first time aquariust runs into. You never want to listen to the breeder or guy at the fish store. You got to remember they have 1 thing in there mind, "i need to make this sale". So unless you go to the breeder regularly and confirm his info and he gives you good info over and over again that is only time you trust them. So try to go to the store with what you want in mind and ask US or someone else that is experienced questions.

As for your tank just learn and fix your mistakes. I started out with a senegal bichir in a 20g tall. This is a fish that gets a foot long and there are species of bichir that get up to 3 feet long. Great fish, LOTS of personality and very cool. And there are tons of fish out there like this and they are my favorites. I could name dozens of the top of my head but i just do not have the room for such large fish at the time since i am with my parents. When i move out i plan on buying a moving out gift for myself and buy myself a HUGE tank.

So just fix you mistakes as you go.:bowl:

Is it completely neccessary to move the paradise? He's so cool and with having him over 2 months now i'm attached to him :) He's my baby.
So - i could have the glass shrimp that i was interested in - i thought they were called amano shrimp but the ghost shrimp is what i was interested in.
So, i will remove the loach asap and hopefully get some nice person to take him in. And keep the Danio's.

Sorry - i must seem stupid!!

Is it completely neccessary to move the paradise? He's so cool and with having him over 2 months now i'm attached to him :) He's my baby.
So - i could have the glass shrimp that i was interested in - i thought they were called amano shrimp but the ghost shrimp is what i was interested in.
So, i will remove the loach asap and hopefully get some nice person to take him in. And keep the Danio's.

Sorry - i must seem stupid!!

IMHO yes i think it is absolutly neccassary. I would just upgrade to a 30g if you like him that much. Just do what you want and it sounds like you want a bigger tank. I am just going to take a wack at the tank is about 8x8 inches. so that means that a fish that gets about 4 inches would have very little room. Almost like a large adult being cramed in a room that is 5x5 feet his whole life. Does not sound fun or healthey does it. I know that was a confusing example but it brings out my point.

IMHO yes i think it is absolutly neccassary. I would just upgrade to a 30g if you like him that much. Just do what you want and it sounds like you want a bigger tank. I am just going to take a wack at the tank is about 8x8 inches. so that means that a fish that gets about 4 inches would have very little room. Almost like a large adult being cramed in a room that is 5x5 feet his whole life. Does not sound fun or healthey does it. I know that was a confusing example but it brings out my point.

Hello,
Alright - the loach will go and the ghost shrimp will come (i wanted ghost/glass shrimp not amano shrimp) my naming mistake, and i will find something to do with the paradise.
Sorry - i hope you do not think i am stupid!!
I am very enthusiastic and only want whats best for my fishies! :)

If i were to buy a cheap 10g tank and add the shrimp and the paradise to that and keep the danio's in the 17l with maybe some other little fish like minnows - would that be cool?

Hello,
Alright - the loach will go and the ghost shrimp will come (i wanted ghost/glass shrimp not amano shrimp) my naming mistake, and i will find something to do with the paradise.
Sorry - i hope you do not think i am stupid!!
I am very enthusiastic and only want whats best for my fishies! :)

If i were to buy a cheap 10g tank and add the shrimp and the paradise to that and keep the danio's in the 17l with maybe some other little fish like minnows - would that be cool?

Your not stupid, it is called a beginner. Just fix your mistakes as you go.

But about the paradise and danios i would say no. I would try to re locate the danios and paradise fish as fast as possible. I would go ahead and find the cheapo 10g and do it quick. But keep in mind that you need to upgrade FAST to that 30g. I mean as soon as possible before the fish gets to big. I would just go ahead and put the danios and paradise fish together. Remember to cycle that tank. :)

Like i said, upgrade as SOON as possible. He is under a inch right?

Your not stupid, it is called a beginner. Just fix your mistakes as you go.

But about the paradise and danios i would say no. I would try to re locate the danios and paradise fish as fast as possible. I would go ahead and find the cheapo 10g and do it quick. But keep in mind that you need to upgrade FAST to that 30g. I mean as soon as possible before the fish gets to big. I would just go ahead and put the danios and paradise fish together. Remember to cycle that tank. :)

Like i said, upgrade as SOON as possible. He is under a inch right?

Yep - under an inch,
at the mo i cant spend alot of money cos i've just spent £60 on my biorb (i love the biorb!) and i only get that a month of my parents so i need it :(

Back
Top Bottom